Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Scottish Bands/Artists Appreciation Thread

[YOUTUBE]vF_HSCJkuwk[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]UP0Xu-9uJ30[/YOUTUBE]

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Aye man cheers for that, Ill probably listen to it tomorrow.

Yeah, I dont know a lot about the Jesus & Mary Chain- Ive only got their 21 Singles album which i really like, have had Psychocandy & DarklanRAB on my wishlist for years now. I just knew Bobby Gillespie had played with them before Primal Scream who I think did their first album in 89? I recentley got it to complete my collection & it has a different punkier sound to it. Wasnt too keen on it though.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Alrite, seen as I appear to be the only Scot on here, I think it would be appropriate for me to do a thread dedicated to Scottish banRAB/artists.
    (By the way I had actually spent about an hour doing this thread before & then it somehow got lost when I tried to post it....)
    I used to hold a pretty negative/mediocre view of Scottish music when I was younger & first getting into music i.e I had only really clued up on the likes of Travis, Proclaimers & Del Amitri.

Big Country are my favourite Scottish band for this song alone (& many others). The riff on this song is just amazing.I love how they create this bagpipe like sound on their guitars.
    Long Live Stuart Adamson & its such a shame he died the way he did.
    [youtube][/youtube]

John Martyn is truly a great artist & guitar player. I love how he corabined Folk & Jazz music in a way that nobody else could. His music is so distinctive & so is his voice.
    I only recentley got into John Martyn a few months ago (sadly he tragically died not long after..) when I purchased his 'Solid Air' album. I also have a lot of his other albums & out of the ones Ive bought I can honestly say Ive never heard a bad album from him yet. 'The Apprentice' & 'Grace & Danger' are my two favourite albums by him. Others I have include 'Inside Out', 'One World' & 'Well Kept Secret'.
    This is the first song I ever heard from the first album I bought 'Solid Air'.
    I have always found this song very moving & only recentley found out that he had written it for the late Nick Drake who was suffering from depression at the time. I couldnt limit it to one track alone so have tried to narrow it down to a couple.
    [youtube][/youtube]

Another track I simply couldnt leave out:
    [youtube][/youtube]

'A couple' becomes three!
    [youtube][/youtube]
    R.I.P John.

I recentley came to appreciate Idlewild after someone gave me a copy of the 'Remote Part' album which i promptly went out and bought for myself.
    The thing I love about this band is how you can tell their Scottish just by listening to them (which cant be said for all Scottish banRAB).
    Heres a very good track of theirs:
    This is the first song I ever heard from this band and I knew right away I had been missing out on a great band
    [youtube][/youtube]

I dont care what anybody says about them, to me they are national icons.
    The Proclaimers, are a great band and musically personify Scotland for me.
    This song has been the last track played at pretty much every birthday party/school dance I can just about remeraber. Also when I used to go see Scotland at Hampden, they play it about 20 times a match (including when we score). Its so lifting to hear 50,000 people singing this song simultaneously. Every time I hear this song it reminRAB me everything good about Scotland, being Scottish & also brings back a shiitload of memories.
    [youtube][/youtube]

Also heres an insight into what its like to hear this song at Hampden.
    I was at this game!! Great atmosphere. Was an excellent game throughout (1-1) until that wee bastard scored right at the end on the 90 mark. Gutted, was still a great game though.
    [youtube][/youtube]
    Another two classics I couldnt leave out:
    [youtube][/youtube]
    They mention my name in this song! ('Lewis no more') Theyre referring to the Scottish island I was named after!
    [youtube][/youtube]

Another timeless classic I couldnt have left out. It took me a while before I found out they were Scottish though!:
    [youtube][/youtube]

I have always liked Travis but think that everything they did after 'Good Feeling' pales in comparison. I couldnt leave these tracks out though. No matter what they are now, they f*cking rocked in their early days!
    [youtube][/youtube]

F*ck man, I forgot just how good they used to be!
    [youtube][/youtube]

[youtube] [/youtube]

This is a true forgotten classic:
    [youtube][/youtube]

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

MoRAB: Sorry I had to double post as I was over the character limit & just simply couldnt leave Edwyn Collins out! P.S. If you are able to merge it for me then thats sound!.

Edwyn Collins is another of my favourite Scottish artists & very underrated outside his one hit 'A Girl Like You'. The albums 'Gorgeous George' & his recent comeback album 'Home Again' in particular are harshly overlooked.

I grew up listening to this song, I have never grown tired of it and never will.
    He is massively underrated outside of this song & Im still to check out his previous group- Orange Juice.
    [youtube][/youtube]

This is a very good track of the album:
    [youtube][/youtube]

This is from his comeback album after recovering from a brain haemorrhage & caught my attention at time of release which prompted me to buy the album which is also very good.
    [youtube][/youtube]

So there you are, you may say I am missing out a lot of Scottish banRAB but that is either due to me just forgotting about them or not hearing them yet.

I didnt put Bay City Rollers in as I dont really like them & BoarRAB Of Canada someone gave me a copy of all their albums on a usb but Ive not gotten round to listening to them yet. I have been looking on Wikipedia & Im surprised at just how many Scottish banRAB there are and plan on going on a Scottish banRAB binge soon!Category:Scottish musical groups - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So feel free ,if theres anyone Ive stupidly missed out ,to let me know.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Bodkin!

Awesome heavy prog, this blows most scottish banRAB out of the water. John Martyn is of course always great too.

Mark Knopfler is not Jordanian, his father is of Jewish decent.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

As hyphenated-American, I really don't want any one to know I'm part Scots & Scots-Irish et cetera.

I like differnet Scottish banRAB but only a few songs like Snow Patrol, Franz Ferdinand, Dire Straits, Eurythmics, Annie Lennox, The Average White Band, Tannahill Weavers, and of course Big Country, too bad they didn't become as big as U2.

My favorite band from Scotland is The Rezillos, actually the first time I heard them I was at Jazz store looking for Les Paul and Wes Montgomery, because Steve Howe was influenced by them. While I was in the basement of this store, that had non-Jazz albums, I heard this band I never heard before and it was the greatest bass playing I ever heard, I sheepishly asked the guy who worked their and said he was playing the Rezillos. Whenever I was in a music store, I would look for their CD, but could never find it. Every so often I'll ask someone about them and they never had a clue who they were. I found a store that could special ordered the CD. It finally arrive something like 6 months latter. It was well worth the wait.

YouTube - The Rezillos - (My Baby Does) Good Sculptures

YouTube - Average White Band - Pick up the pieces

YouTube - Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out

I want to say that The Rezillos + AWB = Franz Ferdinand (style-wise); but I won't becuase I don't want any criticism for saying so.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Very funny, as much as I like Dire Straits, lets stop talking about them as they are not a scottish band.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dire Straits are from Newcastle...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information