Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    Newbie - NLP

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Camera Flashes????????????? Help!!?

Okay so Im pretty into photography and i was thinking about getting some flashes to take my stuff to the next level, but I know absolutley nothing about flashes, so i was just wondering if someone could give me like a "crash course" on flashes, just toss me everything you know. I've heard terms like slave flashes, pocket wizards, flash stands, dedicated and non dedicated,off-camera, tanscievers, continuos lighting, umbrellas, tents, and others. I understand what flashes are used for (filling in shadows, etc.), but i just need some info before i buy any. I know this is asking a lot, so thanks a ton for your help!!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The best peice of advice I can offer is to go to your libary and read up on th differnt flashes and go to your local camera store and look at what they offer. A good book cannot be replaced and if it is comprehensive enough it will guide you through the learning and advance techniques and termonalgoies. Flash is such a huge term in photography that it will take me three or 4 pages to out line the basics. Though a External flash like the Nikon SB-600 or Canon 530EX II are good starter flashes.

Slave flashes are an external flash on a stand or support that is synced to the camera using another flash, like anohter SB-600 or SB-900 for nikon. SO through that you can set off two flashes instead of needing a expensive lighting kit,

Continuous lighting is used more in video but you are starting to see it more and more in studio photography. It is a light that is constantly on, and gives a certain look or affect often using a difuser or coloured gel.

Umbrellas help difues or spread light, it is easier to demonstrate then explain.

Flashes should be used in almost every scenero, and a flash light can be used in place of a flash for some pretty interesting effects.

A flash is a good tool, since it helps even out tone, colour and even out lighting. Play with a couple at your local dealer and see what suites you. I am not sure if this helps you any but I hope it does. Flash is not a small portion of photography and can take a long time to know everything.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information