I have a 1989 Honda Elite 50E moped that I have been having some problems with lately. This moped has been sitting in my garage for about 3 years not being run at all in that time.

I recently took apart and cleaned out the carburetor, drained and re-filled the fuel tank and replaced the spark plug. Initially it worked great,(for the most part) but after sitting a week without use, I went to run it again. It started good but quickly sputtered to a stop.

I adjusted the idling screw on the carburetor which seemed to help. It was idling fine by now and then I went to ride the moped and started to throttle it and it instantly died. After letting it idle for about 5 minutes, I tried again. This time it went, though with much difficulty.
It seems that when it gets any resistance to the motor (such as weight) it kills. If I give it a running start and then throttle it, it goes. But at a dead stop if I give it gas, it will die. Once it gets going over 10 MPH it seems to work and run OK. Though there is about a 3 second delay if I try to give it gas, before it starts engaging the engine...

I am stumped, and am seeking the help of those who have any knowledge of this. It seems like it needs to get a little warmed up first, but after it's warm it still has throttle trouble. Thanks for taking the time to read this! =-)

~Kevin