Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415
    alkalinesolo
    alkalinesolo
's Avatar

This is why people hate big business v.salt wars

Don't answer a question with a question.

djshotglass
    djshotglass
's Avatar

Nobody's forcing you to buy private insurance. The private sector does not lose billions of dollars from people eating salt.

If you take up more than one seat on a plane you have to buy two. Nobody's forcing you to buy plane tickets either.

Sure it's possible it could make certain things slightly more expensive, but for me that's a small price to pay for not having to eat bland food.

Jas0n
    Jas0n
's Avatar

Trans fats increase shelf life and lessen the refrigeration requirements of food which contains them. That means food containing trans fats can be stored and transported more easily and for a longer time, which also means a reduction in energy consumption on both counts.

While trans fats aren't particularly useful nutritionally speaking, they're quite an amazing thing when you pull your empty little head out of your ass and realize that food is a commodity, and doesn't generally have the luxury of leaping straight from some kind of creation point to consumption.

blackbirdbeatle
    blackbirdbeatle
's Avatar

Don't be dense. I was responding to his statement that people doing whatever they want to their body doesn't affect him. Not only salt (And I prefaced it by saying I don't think salt is bad, did you read that?). And yes, businesses lose billions a year because of the health of their employees. It's common knowledge. There are entire classes for HR professionals to take to try and minimize this. It's something businesses invest a lot of money in to try to combat. Consultants are making a killing off of this.

I'm aware it's my choice to get on a plane, although the option of taking a boat from Egypt to Montreal and then Montreal to Vancouver by land is pretty retarded from a logistics point of view (I'd be fired for taking 2-3 weeks to travel on top of vacation time, it would cost an insane amount, etc...). You can also weight 250lbs easily and take up one seat. My point was it's not fair. I'm being punished for the laziness of others. I was venting, am I allowed to do that? I'm not demanding a private business do things the way I want them to, I'm just stating my preferences.

I'm not sure if this is still quoted at me but I have nothing against salt. I've made that clear. You need salt for baking and a lot of cooking recipes. You also don't need salt for even more cooking. There are tons of spices that fit the dish better than salt that Americans put salt on. If you prefer it that's fine but to those that need salt to put on already cooked food, that means that chef didn't know how to make the dish or you are conditioned to think salty foods means flavourful.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information