Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    jfmoore

Should I upgrade and go to a BEV Contract?

Hi everyone. First let me say that this is a fantastic forum and although this is my first post, I have been a loyal reader for at least a year and all of my questions have been answered at one time or another through many of your posts.

I need some advice from everyone. We currently have 2 BEV 5100 PVR's which we own. Ever since the 661 update came down, usage of the PVR's has been awful. My wife is a PVR power user and she cannot stand how things are not recording properly (and yes, we can duplicate the problem). We are about ready to punt Bell and go to cable (I am within days of cancelling my subscription....it has gotten so bad).

Anyway, we have been a BEV subscriber for about 7 years and are not on a contract. Instead of cancelling, I am thinking of moving up to a 9242 but everything I read indicates that you have to go onto a 1 or 2 year contract. Here are my questions:

1. If I stay with BEV, can anybody tell me if it is ok to go on a BEV 1 year contract or should I do whatever I can to stay away from the contracts?

2. When I originally talked to Bell World about the 9242, they told me that we would have to replace our dish and also run new wiring even though our dish already has 2 coax wires running to it. I know that the dish would be replaced because it is smaller and about 7 years old. But what about the wiring? Bell also said I had to pay $100 for a new LPR. Is this true? They also said (and this is confusing to me) that we would have to replace our switch in the basement. Is that true?

3. What can I do with my existing 5100 PVR's? Is there any way to sell them?

If anybody has some advice I would really appreciate it. It seems that this E661 software upgrade could lead me to paying $599 for a new HD PVR, $100 for this LPR or whatever it is they are talking about, pay $100 for installation, etc. Pretty expensive, if you ask me.

scrooloose

I would call BEV, tell them exactly what you're unhappy about with the 5100's and see what they'll offer you first.

You can purchase a 9242 without going under contract, but rentals usually require a contract. The 9242 comes with everything you need to install it, including a new dish, LNB(x2) and SW44 switch. You will need four lines from the dish and can install two 9242's maximum with the included equipment.

-Mike

rogerchoi

Depending on what kind of channel you watch and your location for ATSC reception, I'd go with ATSC with a HTPC.
    Using HTPC is as easy as using a PVR, but with bigger storage with cheap & easy expandability.

If you watch a lot of specialty channels, then you can do what I do, cable and ATSC through HTPC! I record all my non-time-sensitive shows on the computer and watch sports on HD cable.

Bell is one company I try to stay away from at all costs.. for their customer service.. or lack of it.

I_Want_My_HDTV

Bell will give you a 9242 free for a year and free installation with no contract. You just need to approach them in the right way. They might even buy back the 5100s, especially if it's an important enough issue that you will cancel if it's not fixed...

The only way to avoid extra wiring with a 9242 is to go with DPP equipment. That will cost extra since EV does not provide or support it yet.

kman55

you need to talk to Bell rentention department, don't bother with 1st line CSR, tell them you are loyal cutomer (7 yrs), they will give you 9242 for one year free in credits to your account, they will give you all hd basic for 6 months free, they will replace and install new dish, lnb and switch for free

while, your at it, if you also pay them internet, tell them to take off that stupid $3/mth modem rental charge too, they will do it

free 9242 credits for 1 year should be no problem since Bell was giving everyone this free if ppl purchased new HDTV ie. from costco

they wont give you cash but see what you can do about gettting credit for 5100, make that part of deal

remember the secret password "Rogers" and mention Rogers about 10 times and you will get credits from Bell

good luck

jfmoore

Thanks for all of the great info everyone! It is really appreciated. Ultimately it sounds like our real decision is whether we want to stay with BEV or not.

dosborne

A couple of additional points:

a) There is a thread about E661 (the version of firmware that you are complaining about) that lists all the known issues. Theoretically, keep in mind it is possible these will be (or partically be) resolved in a future release. Is it worth all the hassle of switching? Maybe. Also, using daily/weekly timers instead of vupass/all/new works significantly better in the meantime.

b) Check out the competion forums before bailing. They have issue too.

jfmoore

Thanks for the info. We've both been through the E661 thread and have had similar problems. There is lots of good information in that thread. Our problems with BEV go quite a bit deeper and involve a billing/service dispute as well.

cdn_tbird

As dosborne said, the other guys have problems too. When we moved my mom into her new home, she decided to go with Rogers instead of keeping Star Choice. For the first 5 months I had to call in for them to fix her bill yet again. As for service, well we won't even go there. I've had them claim that they've been on-site to fix a problem with her home phone and no one was home. I know they lied because I was there for at least two of the supposed service calls.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information