Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cricket to Launch Android Phone

It is priced at $299.

But remember, this phone was built to be lower priced more affordable Android.
    On one of the major networks, it would probably be a $100 + 2 year contract priced phone.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

And Harware wise the Zio isn't that bad. Not anywhere near top of the line of course. But its running the same processer as the t-mobile my touch 3g slide, HTC legend, LG Ally, and the HTC Aria.
    In the reviews I have read of those, they are pretty decent phones for normal everyday android use.
    My Fav out of those is the MT3G slide. That really is a sweet little phone.

SO we know the hardware is capable of providing a good android experience upto 2.1. The question is if Kyocera's software people are good enough to to give us a smooth experience.

Videos from the introduction were "meh" at best. Phone really looked like it lagged a lot in some places. And giving the hardware and the basic 1.6 OS (kyocera said no skin), that really shouldn't be the case.

In thier defense the guy did say it was beta software running on beta hardware, and it was several months ago. So might have been something they got together quickly to just make show date.

Hopefully some of our cricket reps here will chime in and give us a good run down of the phone after they get thier hands on one. I don't need an EVO, just would like a good midrange android phone.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Holy ******* ****. New versions of Android don't get ported to some device like magic. It takes a ton of effort to custom build Android for any particular phone. Google doesn't do that. The phone manufacturer does it, and in a few cases, some very dedicated and hard working enthusiasts at xda.

That's why this phone is getting Android 1.6. More than likely when Kyocera started working on it, Android 2.1 didn't exist. Granted, five months is more than enough time to get things built. It seems Kyocera started early and progressed slowly.

If Kyocera doesn't give you Android 2.1, chances are no one will.

That said, Android 1.6 is not all bad. It runs nearly all of the same apps that Android 2.1 does. It's just missing a few things like support for multiple Gmail accounts, Facebook integration, and support for the Google Maps Navigation app.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

So, I rounded up a G1 off of craigslist for $100. I was really hesitant to give up a hardware keyboard (I had a BB curve 8330). Like said before, this phone will be similarly spec'ed. It should not be too bad (the Zio has more ram than the G1) but I would venture to say there will be hardly any 3rd party efforts and therefor no 2.1 and i'm not sure i'd be willing to pay $300+tax. The G1/myTouch3G border on being laggy, I couldn't imagine this phone being much better than those.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

You'll be pleased to find that your G1 does have a hardware keyboard!

The G1 is not laggy with a good ROM on it. Try CyanogenMod, and make sure you don't have too many apps sucking up memory. Install System Panel to check on that.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information