Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

decided to make mine a 103

tuesday am was riding to work when a leaf spring came bouncing down the road and put a hole in my crankcase. Had the bike towed to the shop and called the insurance company to file a claim. They were at the shop yesterday and was approved for almost $3000 to repair it. Decided to put it back together with the best parts available rather than leave it stock since the insurance is paying the labor charges. Went with 103 Forged pistons/ crank welded and flywheels trued/ timken bearings on crank/ torrington bearings on cams and a se compensator along with an S&S aircleaner to go with my jackpot 2/1 pipe and a dyno tune. He claims I'm better off spending my $$ on the 103 pistons than a cam now that the engine is being completely torn down, and if I'm not happy he'll install cams for me labor free and retune it. What cha think??

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hell ya. i often think of what i would do if i totalled my scoot. i will most deff upgrade, bigger motor, more things i dont need but want

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Get the cams too.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I agree, do the cams now and add head work later if you can't afford the heads now too.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Go with some 10.5:1 pistons and some performance cams and you'll really start to wake up the motor. Open the heads a little and you'll be looking at most of us in your rearview mirrors.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

If your going to strip her down then you might as well do it all at once. Do the cams now, hell for a little extra do the heads and valves. Then you'll truely know you have done well.

To do the cams later will be to almost reinvent the original invoice.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cams, heads, cams, heads, cams, heads and life is good. Did I mention CAMS? Now which one is the next question and only YOU can decide that.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you look around you'll find most people are getting more bang for their buck by going with Cams over the 103. If you can do both...cool, but don't pass up the cams if you can't. A 88/96 with a good set of cams combined with the right exhaust and tuner will walk all over a stock 103 all day long. That has been proven here about 1000 times.

Go look at Fuelmoto's TW6-6/555 thread...

lp

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

If your gonna spend the time and money on 103 pistons, you should really look into a couple GEAR driven cams, your cams determine your engines performance, with new gear driven cams along with the pistons your horse power and torque will go way up, but! you'll probably have to put in a new ECM also,,,,Thunder Max! just my 2 cents

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

What are your firm plans for the engine? Are you seriously interested in a high performance street build, or is the leaf spring incident basically a way to get a "new" engine? I ask because of the choices that should be made now (pistons relate to cams relate to heads) if you are planning on a high performance build.

FYI, HD now offers case with Torrington bearing installed and case machined to accept 4.060 cylinders (used for 113" and 120" engines) for about $550. May be an interesting alternative to the OEM cases with cost of maching it for the Torrington bearing.

Good luck with your project.

Carl

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information