Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spectrum Ducati

Spectrum Ducati

I'd say that's EXACTLY why RC would think that.

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Spectrum Ducati

O I Y ! ! ! ! ! !

Don't be going to try and bring this thread back on track.. We're off heading in THIS ---> direction...

Go find your own thread to jack.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Spectrum Ducati

No, Not at all bothered by your support. As a matter of fact I applaud a customer (you) who is committed to a dealer who earned that customer's praise and respect by being just as committed to the very same customer.. A very rare and valued trait and hard earned at that..

That is as long as you really are a customer and your seven of eight post aren't meant with another motive behind it that's all..

RC

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Spectrum Ducati

We failed Shiek.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Spectrum Ducati

luke,

First of all, let me say, I think your thesis project is very clever. I like it. Blending the Ducati brand name into an architectural design is a cool idea all on its own, and placing the design in Bologna makes a whole lot of sense, given that Bologna is Ducati's home.

Having said that, why would anyone want to replace the Bologna train station?! I understand that it's, "old and outdated," (to use your words), but not everything needs to be updated. I'm sure the blumbing could be better, and there are probably much more efficient systems now available to move large groups of people through train stations, but nonetheless, when I think of the Bologna train station, the words that come to my mind are, "beautiful and timeless." I wouldn't change a single thing about the Bologna train station. It's fantastic just the way it is! The old building is part of the charm of Bologna. It's the first thing you see when you're get to the home of Ducati. I wouldn't have it any other way.

I love your vision, but for Pete's sake, can you modernize some other building in Bologna, (for example, the Post Office?), and leave the Bologna train station just the way it is?! Is nothing sacred anymore? Will Americans not rest until Europe is converted into one giant, modern, efficient strip mall?

Just my opinion,

Elton

Spectrum Ducati

Elton,

In all fairness to your argument, please understand this was one of the largest challenges I had in defending my initial Thesis. There are a plethora of issues that come into play with my argument but I will focus on a few of the strongest ones. First there is the issue of local precedence in the existing typology of Bologna's Architecture, historical structures in a city which has been around for thousands of years. Second, is to consider the history of the actual structure known as the train station. Third is the relationship of contemporary architecture in a historical setting. What effects would such a building have in the local and global community.

First constructed in 1859, the original train station holds very little of it's original design. It has a multitude of additions and was bombed in 1980 (85 killed, 200 injured). It is also the fifth most passenger visited train station in Italy. Given the date of initial construction compared to the thousands of years the city has existed, I think it's fair to say this building holds only so much historical value.

With the addition of high speed rails and more set in motion for construction, the station is grossly unequipped to handle future passenger flow and this was the main reason for my choice of site. Also consider the program of a train station in general. It is highly mobile with constant movement. It has very specific programmatic needs with a mostly temporary time/ use factor. People move in and out with only so much time to spend within this structure.

My thesis proposed a Ducati Museum within the station along with other more permanent elements to infuse transparent and opaque program within the site. I designed a highly complex super structure based on the engine which allowed for massive open spaces creating an expansive floor layout to ease flow patterns within the structure. The design then used a secondary structure which was to join the exterior glazing to the superstructure, and this was based on the trellis frame which Ducati utilizes. The third architectural element was the skin, which not only sourced its design from the fairings of a Desmosedici RR, but it was to be painted to match the Ducati Red fairing color we are all so prideful about when we ride.

My research is quite extensive so I'll try to keep things as straight-to-the-point as possible. To be honest, I don't feel the original train station is that beautiful (yes, I've been there). Bologna is city known for design and technology. Why not allow a major gateway for the city to represent a contemporary monument of this achievement while producing a building that is far more efficient and capable of supporting the city's future growth. And who better to transcend that design than Ducati.

This is one of my first site plans... most of the detailed 3D models and renderings are on my home computer (I'm in the office now).

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Spectrum Ducati

luke,

Wow! I'm sure the actual defense of your thesis was much more detailed, but the brief synopsis you gave
    was well-reasoned and persuasive!

I agree with every point you made. You've convinced me. On top of that, the renderings and plans you posted look fantastic! I'm a convert. I say, "Bring it on!!"

Well-done, luke! I'm totally impressed. You've obviously thought very seriously about the issues. It shows. I hope your thesis becomes a reality. Good luck!

Elton

Spectrum Ducati

OFficial Threa Re-Jack

I'm a Newport Beach groupie myself. Bought my bike from Aaron at Spectrum last year before Newport became a reality. Now that that the staff has moved on to Newport, I couldn't be happier!

Now I was treated well at Spectrum, but that was due completely to Aaron who handled everything for me.

I've met and spoken with EVERYONE at Newport, from the owner all the way to the newest tech and they are ALL 100% honestly friendly people who don't care if you're on an old Monster 6 or a new Bayliss rep. They treat everyone equally with enthusiasm for their machine and respect.

Not to mention the good deals that they cut people.

I was resisting, but couldn't hold out any longer.

Thread officially re-jacked...

btw, thesis argument and explanation was some good readin! Fantastic design and I'm quite impressed with your incorporation of Ducati's philosophy and construct.

Spectrum Ducati

MOVED TO NEW THREAD

I'm also trying to upload some animations of the 3D model... stay tuned, it'll blow your mind.

North Elevation:

East Elevation:

Rendering Occlusion:

Rendering 3D Color:

Rendering 3D Color from the tracks:

Rendering of High Speed Rail Bridge from above:

Roof Plan Occlusion:

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Spectrum Ducati

wow that is a beautiful cad model. What CAD program did you make it on?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information