...and Best Practices? Some people seem to think an SOP manual and a Best Practices manual are the same--that the terms are interchangeable. What are your thoughts? I see SOPs as directives to a group in fulfillment of the larger organizations policy. Best Practices, on the other hand are (or should be) suggestions that are not mandatory. I think Best Practices have become something they were not intended to be. I seem to remember when people at various locations in a company would share their best practices (what works best for them) so that others might benefit from their experience. They were not official or required. Now manuals are written and people are told to comply with "Best Practices" instead of communicating the procedures as "standard" procedures. Am I making any sense? I have a document in my hand from someone that is labeled "Best Practices -- Standard Operating Procedures." I think it should be one or the other. If the terms were interchangeable, this would be a simple case of redundancy.