Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cox.net Blocking Gnutella Uploads

It seems Cox is now blocking Gnutella uploads. I have tried with LimeWire and Bearshare and same thing. The last time I checked was ~6 months ago and worked then. I have outgoing and incomming messaging traffic working fine but when someone tries to upload any of my shared files it will immediatly get connection error. One other funny thing is the vast majority
    of peer connectioin are outgoing with the few incoming connections only to cox.net peers.
    I heard of a new filtering/blocking software that ISPs can run that will inspect each packet to determine it's payload and block if Gnutella upload. Has anyone else heard of this?
    What can be done to save Gnutella from this most serious threat? I am hoping the Gnutella client/protocol developers can somehow get around this problem. If anyone knows of a Gnutella client that has this fixed, please let me know.

-Kent

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

See ISP's known to BLOCK or Filter p2p or specifically Limewire These ISP's that do block or shape the bandwidth to Gnutella use special programs that detect p2p software. AFAIK there's not a lot we can do. You can try proxies which have worked for some people but proxies are trial & error from the feedback I've received. You may need to try many proxies before one works. There's an off-shoot link to using proxies in the above link (under Insight.)

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I tried using different ports such as 3000 and 27000 and still had U/L's blocked. Since they seem to be inspecting each outgoing packet to look for Gnutella file U/L, I do not think a proxy server will help. I did sign the Cox petition.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Try port 80 & a much larger port no., something above 40000 ... just a long-shot but worth a try.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information