I was looking for a way to get affordable health insurance for my family and I recently, one thing led to another and I ended up seriously looking into the Army National Guard. Besides the health insurance I thought I would also receive Veterans preference toward my career in Homeland Security (or another Fed level Law enforcement agency)
Thing is I found out that I'd have to serve 180 consecutive days of active service to qualify for Vet's preference. The whole point of me doing the Guard instead of full time Military was because of spending time with my 5 month old and 2 year old. I'm the only support my wife has so being away too much isn't much of an option, we were barely okay with basic training and were trying to prepare for it.
Anyway, I'm going to finish my BA in Police Administration in 3 semesters and was wondering, is the military training from the Guard (considering that odds are I won't get vet preference) really worth me leaving for 4.5 to 6 months and being set back a semester. I mean, does it really make that much difference...

I'd be especially grateful (with Best Answer too) for people who have any sort of experience or involvement in the DHS, FBI, or any other Fed level hiring process or could otherwise give a well informed answer. Thank you...