Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 80's comeback?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

80's comeback?

Don't forget the entire Swing dance comeback fad that came into fashion around the mid-late nineties with banRAB like the Squirrel Nut Zippers and Cherry Poppin Daddies. Every other bar seemed to be advertising "Swing dance" lessons then and people wearing zoot suits. If I have to choose one form of music to make a comeback now I would actually go for this....I can live without another revival of grunge.

edit: I am sorry to be a bit negative on the eighties comeback but it just seems to me that alot of it was just a cut/slash of old eighties hits with a new beat or people just redoing hits that really should never have been redone..at least it seemed like that for a while..

80's comeback?

Exactly! We went from

to

The music being played on the radio was amazing too

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

80's comeback?

i loved the radio in the 90's and as for the music in general...i seem to remeraber hearing vocals and guitar play that i thought were the last traces of great rock and roll in America not to say there isnt rock these days but it doesnt sound anything to me like the 90's, 70's and some of the 60's....the classics. I am impressed by some of the vocals coming out these days and i hope progressive rock explodes soon. The Mars Volta has been tearing it up for a few years now...the volta and BanRAB like them need a big break

80's comeback?

Pretty much everything you mentioned there is very much late 90s/early 00s and in the case of Marilyn Manson you're talking about someone whose peak was actually in the mid 90s. It's true some of that music lingered into the 00s like some 80s music lingered into the 90s, but there has definitely been an 80s revival going on this entire decade. Check out any one these people who were releasing retro 80s sounding music in the first part of this decade (and even in the late 90s in some cases) for reference:
    • Fischerspooner
    • Ladytron
    • The Faint
    • The Knife
    • Interpol
    • !!!
    • The Darkness
    • Andrew WK
    • Hot Hot Heat
    • The Rapture
    • Liars
    • Peaches
    • Miss Kittin & the Hacker
    • The Strokes

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

80's comeback?

Just because the "12:15" video was film in an actual real tank from "Tron" doesn't necessarily make the music 80's - nice try though.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

80's comeback?

I've never seen the video. It's the song itself that I'm talking about. But if the video looks like what you describe then I guess that just highlights the fact that the Strokes themselves are aware that the song sounRAB like an 80s throwback.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

80's comeback?

But it's not like they strickly adhere to the whole 80's sci-fi motiff. The band was beamed aboard the tank. That means they were using special efffects used in Star Trek and someone in the 70's would be fully aware of Star Trek 60's vision of future technology of being beamed by the Transporter not the kind of technology they had in the 80's like they used in Tron where the people were atomized by a laser and then reconstructed inside a computer, where the people materialized the same way a graphic artist would create CGI.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

In what corner do we have Search box?

Thread Information