Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

When Does A Movement Die?

when does a musical movement die? is it officially dead once its co-opted by big corporations and durabed-down for the mainstream? is it oversaturation that kills it? does it die the moment its overground?

take punk for example. if you think punk is dead, when do you think it died and what do you think killed it?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

It arrived in 1976 and by 1978 it had died. Replaced by New-Wave, Post-Punk and Hardcore Punk. Grunge arrived around 1988 as a mainstream sound and died around 1995 and was replaced by Post-Grunge or converged with the Alternative Rock scene. Thrash came in around 1983 and died out around 1988 in fact killed off by Grunge and most of the original thrash groups by this time, had slowed down their sound and were bringing different elements in anyway.

These dates I`ve put, are just relative to the movements in general, as the hardcore elements will still keep the movements candle burning, even after it has largely died out with a lot of the original acts moving onto other styles.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

When pivotal banRAB from that movement make the cover of Rolling Stone magazine?

The late 80s and the flood of awful and unoriginal banRAB becoming the new representitives of the genre.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Most people or fickle...
    So movements come and go because, by nature, humans or ultimate copy cats.
    So when someone or something new comes along, it most likely will get masses of followers.

Then more new things come along.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

The multitude of of copycats often kill off a movement and certainly dilute the quality of the overall sound, from the heights reached by the original artists. Its most impressive though, when a group comes late onto the scene or at least late to the publics attention and really takes a tired genre, and breathes new life into it, as Sepultura did in the late 80`s with the thrash movement.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Punk for me felt officially dead when I noticed there were songs accepted as proper punk that were about trivial things like hitting on girls and driving cool cars in the US. There is no one point in time when this happened - for example the Ramones sang about all kinRAB of largely irrelevant nonsense and I could accept that. It relates more to when I personally discovered this and felt the rebel spirit in punk was almost completely gone from the music of the contemporary punk mainstream.

Today, I wouldn't say movements die though. Only in a highly relative and subjective way

I think the idea that a movement dies when it becomes mainstream is pretty off though. It wasn't popularity which killed off prog in the 70s .. It probably had more to do with the subsequent rise in popularity of guys like this and their beliefs :

Any one of us can of course appreciate Sex Pistols and Pink Floyd at the same time, but the truly massive scale popular opinion can't. Different banRAB and genres are competing for a limited resource, our collective interest, and thus there are winners and losers. I think a movement would die when (or rather "if") there's no interest in it anymore or, more arguably, when it's changed so much that it's become something completely different and noone has interest in the original shape of it. In the latter example, it may have passed on some genes to it's oRABpring.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

When people with horrible taste in music start listening to them.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

A lot of punks had pretty deplorable taste in music overall. I mean they were supposed to be anti commercial and everything but these guys were sh*tting on progressive rock which just happened to be big at the moment while praising stuff like Bay City Rollers and The Ohio Express, I mean come the holy f*ck on.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

That's not quite what I meant but never mind.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

It's to me clearly a major, and very understandable, part of Ramones World, but I feel that it was a feeling that was shared through The US in The Mid-Late 70's.

I have a feeling that it was mostly with Early Punk fans (or really just plain outsiders) in The States, especially in the Midwest and other areas where there was not so much support for it, and those who did not buy Album Rock (Sadly the worlRAB of Prog and the more Mainstream-driven Album Rock were clearly blurred) were finding it tough to find anything sharp sounding. So, sadly it was even to stuff like "Saturday Night" or "Sugar Sugar" to find some kicks. There was no difference between great Glam and Bubblegum (Usually equaling Power Pop by the Late 70's), listening to the kick of the songs was all that mattered in that excitement-barren time.

Not on the major Defense for The Rollers, the Express or any others of the Class of Bubblegum, but there was a point back in The Late 70's (and no other time in my opinion). The acceptance of Bubblegum was clearly a return back to the simplistic Three Chord Wonders that immediately hit the ears, especially in The States where Corporate Rock Radio turned seriously crap (If you survived any albums by Styx, Foghat, Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band, the Breakfast in America-era Supertramp, and the like, you will know how bland things got). In a way, most of the Rock that was making it in was clearly not fun to listen to if you were on the outside and that fun was certainly out of the picture, so the sounRAB (I'm sure if they knew the histories, they would not have been so big on them...so little was written about them then) were the thing, and it was time to bring back some of that excitement by digging through the used record collections or Oldies Radio (As most of the classic AM stations were either MOR or Disco if they were not Talk) and getting some inspiration there. Over in The States, things were getting desperate to the point where something calculated and fake was preferable to hearing "Slow Ride," or worse, on the hour every hour.

Sadly, the powers that be used that spark and decided to use it for the New Wave...and everything fell flat from there.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

In what corner do we have Search box?

Thread Information