Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 132 of 171 FirstFirst ... 3282122130131132133134142 ... LastLast
Results 1,311 to 1,320 of 1704

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Weekly Music Trading Post

BULLDOG sent me

ELVIS COSTELLO AND THE ATTRACTIONS - GET HAPPY!!! (1980)

I knew fine well how much Bulldog loved this guy and had read a lot of his reviews, probably watched one or two video's he had posted but there was always something holding me back with Costello. I'm not quite sure what it was, his voice may have had something to do with it as for some reason i've never been a big fan of it but whatever the reason Costello has never done anything for me on any level. With that said it may sound like it would have been a bit of a disappointment to get some Costello from Bulldog this week but i actually welcomed the opportunity.

His discography is quite lengthy and therefore daunting to a newcomer so it was good to get a record BD has chosen for me, as our music tastes may not be entirely similar on every level but i certainly respect a recommendation of his and also it meant i would finally listen to a Costello record in its entirety.

On first listen the album offered no surprises to be honest. Even in my novice status i think this was kind of what i had expected (im sure you may argue this mate, and if you do i will listen but i felt the title of the record was rather suiting to the music as it was very upbeat, in places very infectious and offered one or two melodies that would then be stuck in my head for the next few days. However, this was probably my initial assesment in its entirety. Writing a review for this at this stage was going to be a real bitch.

I don't know whether because it had managed to get in my head or just because i felt one more listen was just good manners before i gave my verdict but im listening to it again right now. My music taste is expanding all the time but if i had to name some of my favourite genres i would have to mention doom, blues and trip hop which upon reflection offer a large amount of artists making music that i can chill out to or just outright be depressed to so after a long sleep and a cup of coffee this album almost serves as a slap in the face to start the day on a bit of a high.

The melodies are fantastic, the drumming is tight, there are some very infectious, poppy chorus' and i really don't know how its possible to listen to this album without feeling somewhat uplifted by it. The vocals are becoming less a negative aspect for me as they becomes more a part of the music. "King Horse" and "Human Touch" are tracks i can see getting added to a couple of different playlists on my ipod, the bluesy "Beaten to the Punch" is another possible favourite and i can already sense that maybe future plays of this album will offer up more favourites to single out that i have been overlooking so far until theres not really much room left for poor tracks or filler.

I am finding a lot more substance the second time around. I haven't had a chance to really take notice of the lyrics just yet but musically it's a very strong record and certainly theres more here than the odd catchy chorus.

This may not be amongst my best reviews, sorry mate, but even after a ridiculously long sleep im still feeling a bit wiped and there are certain worRAB or phrases i just find myself desperately reaching for at present and not finding. I'm sure i wanted to say more about it than i have. I do think however that this will become an album that gets a fair few spins in the future when i need something positive and upbeat.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

The rules clearly state it may not be good. :usehead:

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah no themes for this round so send away i say.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

well anticipation sent me

Julio Gutierrez & His Orchestra-Progressive Latin

well all i have to say is that i loved this record ! the jazz fueled Latino compositions that were just as beautiful and well done as it was fierce and hard hitting. Guitierrez knows how to lead his band, with everyone keeping the whole thing going while each instrument had their own spots to get noticed and play around. this is exactly the kind of stuff i like, and i couldn't ask for more.

10/10

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

it's the most fun i've had in some time just listening to an album.....the songs are just flat out hilarious and at time very strange....i would suggest it to anyone

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Listen, power pop. I know we've always sort of ignored each other, but I'm willing to give you a shot. Come on in.

And this is where things went bad.

"Boys Don't Lie" is all-around annoying. The sound isn't that great and the vocals are, honestly, some of the worst I've ever heard. The hooks it tries to use don't work and the whole thing is just generally a train wreck.
    "Do You Wanna Get Lucky" features slightly less annoying vocals (though they're still terrible) and an actual guitar hook this time around, which isn't bad. The drums are still annoying and there's an ugly keyboard solo in here that I can't help but hate.
    "She'll Disappear" is apparently the third in a trilogy of songs with horrible vocals, though the guitar-and-drums do some decent stuff here (though the drum tone is tediously tolerated). Maybe if this vocalist would go away for a while and they messed with the kit a little they'd have themselves a good album.
    "Tragedy" starts off interesting with some burning synths and then segues into the main track. The other instruments don't fit with the synth at all, and then the vocals start and ARGHHHH

At this point (1:07 and change into Tragedy) I turned the album off and listened to the Mastodon I downloaded, since I had never given them a fair chance. It wasn't very good, so I tossed on a Melvins song ("Night Goat") and figured I'd give Black Vinyl Shoes another chance.

"Writing a Postcard" starts off with some very iffy guitar chorRAB and then the rest of the song kicks off. The vocals are still awful.

"Not Me" has more mediocre instrumentation corabining with the awful singing. I'm going to punch the Murphy brothers in the goddamn face.

"Someone Finer" seems to try and tone down the singing a bit in the mix, but it still made me vomit within the first 30 seconRAB. Apparently, if you try to turn down the singing, it gets worse. Maybe if I turn my volume up, the singing will get better?

Nope. The bass sounRAB cool at max volume, though!

"Capital Gain" is the same boring fuc‎king intro they've played on the past 6 songs with the vocals and etc. I think I've said enough.

"Fatal", "Running Start", "Okay", "It Really Hurts", "Fire For Awhile, "If You'd Stay" and "Nowhere So Fast" all sound like ass. Honestly, early on it seemed like the album could be better if the vocals were replaced and you switched some stuff around it could be better, but the more I listened the more I hated. There are a few songs I could've liked at some point in time, but overall, I'm never going to listen to this album again.

I will take the terrible reviews Unchained & I have posted as an omen that this trade is doomed for everyone and we will all hate the albums we were sent.

Tune in next time when I review Infected Mushroom's Vicious Delicious!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Fuck I completely spaced on on this. I'll have partners up by tomorrow I promise.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dreadnaught: You wouldn't mind PMing me also? I definitely want to check that out.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

That's how I understood it too. Didn't really think of horrorcore.

So for now:

bob.
    Dankstra
    James
    NND

Are duga and Pedestrian in btw ?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well, at this rate it's only gonna you, me and NuraberNineDream in the next one. If that enRAB up being the case, we'll just all send albums to each other.

My review's coming soon by the way. I've finished uni for the week, so it won't be long!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information