Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 101 of 171 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1704

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Weekly Music Trading Post

I think my RapiRABhare account had run out by the time I tried downloading it, as I remeraber doing so without success. If you can find another, non-RapiRABhare link I'll listen to it later this week and get my thoughts on it posted.

And, if you wanna talk about the songs you've heard, be my guest Incidentally, which ones were they?

I wish there was, but unfortunately my brain's not in that kinda working order right now! It's been a long day y'see.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

That's a srs compliment.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Good man :thurab: List updated.

If we don't end up with multiples of 3 for this thing, that won't complicate things too much. I'll start this thing on Sunday at the very earliest - my brother's given me an R Stevie Moore album, and I've reluctantly promised him that I'll listen to it soon, so I'll just get that one out the way before I take part in this :

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I tried to upload something to mediafire the other day and it said it had failed. I tried again, it said it had failed at about 94% or something and was generally just being a bitch. However the link was still in my files and as far as im aware it worked just fine.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wow, that's looking good!

Antonio was kind enough to send me Gretchen Goes to Nebraska by King's X. This wasn't the first time I had ever heard King's X before, a friend of mine tried very hard to get me into them back in 11th grade to no avail. Their music doesn't do that much for me, however I do like listening to it and then listening to other acts that came out after them and hearing the influence that they had on them, that is always fun. Sorry man, but it's not like you could've known and I have to applaud you for the speed in which you sent me the album.

If people aren't getting their albums then send your partner a PM and tell them to get on it. If you don't hear back from them in a day then tell me and I'll get on their case and if we still don't get anywhere then I'll just give you an album and the person who failed to deliver will be barred from partaking in this for a week.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

This time around I listen to the critically-acclaimed post-punk album "The Idiot" by the curiously named "Ian Curtis Hanging From A Rope".

If I had a Joy Division cover band I'd name it

I went in expecting post-punk that would skate on the "punk" side of the road; I instead listened to an album that quietly bicycled on the "new wave" side while brooding under their hood as the rain poured down upon them. I also wasn't expecting to want to commit suicide after listening to this album but I nearly did, given how desperate the lyrics are and how awful the guy's voice is. And I don't mean awful as in "he can't sing", he actually has a wonderful voice, I mean awful as in "Was anyone really surprised this guy offed himself".

You want to dance to it but it's too depressing.

"Disorder" has a catchy as hell guitar and bass corabo with some nice bass in backup, and the vocal rythym is awesome.

"Day of the LorRAB" has a really good driving beat with synths and the lyrics are great. Love the guitars here again.

"Candidate" has a haunting synth line with a great bass and drums corabination, and the lyrics are brilliant. I love the way Ian Curtis sings, it's amazing. The lyrics fit his voice perfectly.

"Insight" has a very strange sound to it. His voice is muffled and there's an "ooh ooh" in the background while the drums and guitar go along, then in the middle it cuts into a bunch of space-agey synth.

"New Dawn Fades" opens in a very driving, sinister way with dramatic drums (and cool cyrabal smacks in the background) and a guitar riff that sounRAB straight out of a much heavier album. The whole song remains pretty urgent and dramatic, and overall it's pretty cool. Love the percussion in this one.

"She's Lost Control" has the catchiest weird-drums-and-synth opening in the world with more horribly depressing lyrics along with this guy's desperately monotonous voice. If it wasn't already obvious Ian Curtis is bored with the world and because of this he can't live, because HE'S lost control. As I listen to this album I'm listening to his suicide note. There's a driving guitar that kicks in in the middle and helps out the aforementioned synth-and-ddrum corabo. Also you're listening to a man die.

"Shadowplay" has some bass and cyrabals panickedly segue into the main beat and more echoey-desperation vocals about how Ian Curtis is waiting for you while grooving through shadows. There's a guitar solo here that sounRAB straight out of someone else's genre but it works, somehow, probably because the whole bloody album is an emotionally schizophrenic mess and WHY SHOULDN'T THE MUSIC REFLECT THAT. The guitar does it all again near the end and the percussion and synths chip in their own craziness during both sections as well so it's all well and good except it isn't because I'm sad.

"Wilderness" has a drum-heavy opening with added bass and eventual guitar that made me cream myself. Then Ian starts talking about how he's traveled far and wide to many different times and sees death everywhere, like some sort of emo time traveller. The blood of Christ on their skins alright. This song is wilderness. That's what it sounRAB like. The drums are pounding out a heart rhythym (that's the only way I can describe it) and the bass sort of plays along but is on its own and the guitar is just their and the vocals are still up and above in the canyon or wherever.

Then we have "Interzone" with some cool call-back vocals and a kickin' riff on the guitar. Surprisingly rocking here, stark contrast compared to the new wave drums. It all fits, though, not sure how or why but it does. The bass is laying down some basic stuff here to follow the guitar and it's all well and good. Love this track as much as the others.

"I Remeraber Nothing" closes the album with a sinister opening of background synth, echoey-soft drums and some soft but dark guitar. Then glass breaks or something and Curtis starts wailing about how we were strangers because we live in our own worlRAB. Anyway the whole thing is dark and mysterious and foreboding and depressing and it's a slogging great time. EnRAB all dark and crashing and stuff and it's probably what the room sounded like when Ian Curtis hanged himself.

Unknown Pleasures is an album I'll be revisiting. I loved it, and it's a masterpiece. So long as I never enter a period of serious depression I think I can handle it.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I got '69 Love Songs (vol. 1)' by The Magnetic FielRAB from RoemerM. It was pretty interesting, especially on songs like "I Don't Believe In the Sun", where the vocals seem to have some serious Waits influence going on. My only complaint is due to the sheer volume of songs, it seems like there's a lot of space for filler and pointless tracks (Punk Love, How Fucking Romantic, etc.). All in all it was pretty enjoyable, but I'm not sure if it's really an album still having merit to me in 3-5 years. 7/10 (I was tempted to put 6.9/10, I'm so clever lololol)

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think I already said I was in, but I am anyway.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm in.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information