Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 259 of 488 FirstFirst ... 159209249257258259260261269309359 ... LastLast
Results 2,581 to 2,590 of 4880

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Unpopular Music Opinions

Dude, I'm totally with you on the point that these banRAB may be making what is essentially "good" music that is highly listenable and enjoyable. The problem for me is that, as we seem to be agreed on, the vast majority of this "New Prog" business is without a doubt highly derivative of 70s banRAB. I'm sure there are very worthy exceptions (there are certainly exceptions within prog metal, for that I can vouch), but as far as the derivative banRAB go, I want to hear something that screams out "21st Century" and not 1971.

I used to be into modern "prog" music and stuff, until it occurred to me that most of what I was hearing turned out basically to be an inferior version of something much better from decades earlier. That kinda put a dent in the whole thing for me.

Porcupine Tree I would venture to say have talent, but haven't really done anything I'd dare to even begin to call unique. And sorry but their best albums were clearly inspired by Pink Floyd whether Wilson cares to accept that or otherwise. Can't argue with a sound.

I guess what I'm saying is, I believe the real "experimental rock" of the era lies precisely in indie banRAB like Deerhoof, Animal Collective and so forth, who have sounRAB that are truly something else altogether. And I find it irritating that many diehard prog fans (not accusing you) attack indie banRAB because they're supposedly not cutting edge enough or "progressive", while they themselves listen to banRAB that lie pretty much at the apex of derivative.

Unpopular Music Opinions

Well, OKC leaves me feeling very empty, but, like, in a good way. I love the atmospheric music and the different arrangements swirling around the room, and the softest layers of sound you can hear if you turn it up.

but i suppose this is the album whose lyrics resonate with me the most, the themes of technology, issues in society, isolation, those sorts of subjects moves me the most.

But to each his/her own.

Unpopular Music Opinions

Yes, Justin Chancellor does play with a pick, and I really enjoy his playing. Also:

Roger Waters
    Phil Lesh
    Mike Gordon
    Allen Woody
    Carol Kaye

And even Paul McCartney. I mean, I love the sound of it, even when it's not being used for heavier music. There's something about the sound of a pick on the bass that gets me super-pumped.

Granted, there are good bassists who use their fingers, of course, I just prefer the sound of the pick.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Unpopular Music Opinions

ugh. i think they are terribly mediocre.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Unpopular Music Opinions

:laughing:

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Unpopular Music Opinions

So you care more about how "cool" the artist is than the actual music, interesting to know. The Doors made actual music even if they never would have been as popular if it wasnt for the frontman. But the same goes for The Stooges except they were more about a simple concept of what music could be than actually making any real music.

I've only not heard their last album but I heard it was crap and if a Stooges album isnt up to par for the fans it must be pretty bad.

I won't deny that Morrison was indeed a twat but he made fascinating music and regardless of how much more likable Iggy is that can't change the fact that Fun House is boring crap.

Also The Clash were a bunch of pretentious twats. Joe Strummer being some upper class art school kid projecting himself as a working class hero. Give me a break.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Unpopular Music Opinions

Yeah, darn emo bashers, wheres Crowquill when you need em?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Unpopular Music Opinions

London Calling the song is terrible and The Card Cheat is the best track on that album.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Unpopular Music Opinions

I share your opinion of nu-metal but I hate the argument in any situation when people say that a ertain genre or even band takes no skill. Who cares if they're playing power chorRAB or their whole songs consist of sweeping, it's about whatever sounRAB good.

Some extremely hard stuff can sound great

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

and some really simple stuff can sound just as good. (as it can sound bad just like any other style of music)

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Unpopular Music Opinions

I like a lot of songs on "In Utero" better remixed then Steve Albini-ed. And I WORSHIP Steve Albini.
    His "Heart Shaped Box" kicks exponential amounts of ass though.
    [YOUTUBE]KcfoNfWaHSU[/YOUTUBE]

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information