Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

The Aussie Rock thread

Hmm but surely that would mean they are met with disdain by some people because of their overall popularity in Australia?

There are a lot of banRAB I can think of that get similar treatment in this country. A lot of the time because people simply don't like their music which is cool but I've seen a fair bit of Oasis hating because of the loud mouthed, pisshead, scally fans they seem to produce, Radiohead hating because of apparantly the legions of mathematics students with no social life that stop in and listen to them while everyone else goes out and gets laid and the overall effort some people will make to distance themselves from "those kinRAB of people". You know, the classic stereotypes.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

The Aussie Rock thread

I think of Diesel and Dust as being Midnight Oils version of Metallica's Black album. While it is an okay album, it signals a departure from their old style of music, it was their most financially successful release even though it is not as good as their older albums.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

The Aussie Rock thread

I still want The Hard On's album 'Dickcheese'. Great album.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

The Aussie Rock thread

I think I've heard that somewhere before. Great song though. Which album's it off?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

The Aussie Rock thread

Good points you raise.

To the first point you raise they were very very popular indeed. It reached a point that they both Chisel and Barnes as a solo artiste could produce some poor music and it sold such was their popularity. There are bound to be elitists who dislike anyone who is popular but I think that it went a bit further than that with Chisel/Barnes. I have memories of Jimmy himself discussing over exposure in an interview and admitting that even he was erabarrassed by it.

I don't think anyone dislikes Jimmy Barnes per se. He seems an alright type of bloke when I have seen him interviewed. I understand what you are saying but in defence of my point I could not care less as to personalties in the end, it is the music. This Radiohead v Oasis V Blur etc etc is to me teenybopper stuff and why the hell anyone with any serious views gets involved in that type of discussion baffles me somewhat. I am not a fan of the Barnes style of Rock vocal per se so he was always on a hiding to nothing with me but by the nature of the Male Australian from the sprawling Suburbs this macho rock singing was seemingly a badge of musical honour.

As to over playing, for a good 20 odd years they have been hammered. The song by Cold Chisel, Khe San, for example I liked initially but to have the ****ing thing rammed down the throat on all fronts on a daily basis by commercial radio, Karaoke singers, bronzed males at BBQ's, the next door neighbour playing loud at midnight, it being used every ANZAC day and on and on and on, you get the picture, become too much for a lifetime. As I said before, if I ever hear it or any other song sung by Barnesy it will be far too soon.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

The Aussie Rock thread

I wasnt sure whether to PM this but then I remerabered about this thread and it seems rather fitting.

I gave that Midnight Oil album a go yesterday. I liked it but I wasnt 100% taken with the vocals so thats gonna get another go. The Hoodoo Guru's album is really good though, its just so damn poppy and sometimes it's good to have something that just sounRAB so upbeat and positive.

Judging by a few previous comments in this thread, their earlier output has a different sound?

EDIT: My bad, I see my mistake. Well as seen as its the debut Hoodoo Guru's album I'm listening to I may well start to explore their stuff a little more

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

The Aussie Rock thread

I guess that I enjoyed it's departure from their older rock style. No matter how big a commercial success Dead Heart was I loved that song.

All that being said that when those that like a band debate the merits of individual albums over others then it is a sign of the quality that they produced.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

The Aussie Rock thread

How can you leave The Saints off that list?

There are sure a few names from my past there. God. Love that tune My Pal. "Your my only friend and even you don't like me". Top song.

I caught The Cosmic Psychos last year. Good as ever but so odd to watch these blokes turn into grey bearRAB. My mate reckoned they nowadays looked like Public Servants on night out.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

The Aussie Rock thread

Some other banRAB you might want to check out

Models
    Metronomes
    The TriffiRAB
    Lime Spiders

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

The Aussie Rock thread

Hmm yeah I kinda get what you mean. I mean, there are a lot of artists that I dont listen to or at least dont listen to anymore because of over exposure and the fact that I hear them so much when I dont even want to hear them that I have little need to hear them in my own time. No fault of the artist of course, nor does it tarnish the music but it lowers the likelihood that I'm gonna give any of my time to listening to them when theres so much music out there I don't hear all the time and so much I haven't even heard yet. Nirvana spring to mind right away, I have Nevermind, Unplugged, In Utero and Bleach from my teenage days but I cant remeraber the last time I listened to any of them.

Im a little confused by what I have quoted above though because the second statement seems to be contradicted by this first? I'm probably just not reading it right or understanding your intentions correctly.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information