Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Mastodon

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mastodon

Remission is not only the first Mastodon that I heard but also the first metal album that I bothered to listen to in a long time. So maybe I have a soft spot for it because of that. I took to it right away

It's still my favorite album of theirs. It came after the mess of early songs on which they got to know each other musically I guess. It's also probably my favorite metal engineering by Matt Bayless who I think sortra ruined a lot of good albums with his overly muddy sound.

But I think Bayless's finest work may be Remission. And Mastodon's too. I like the next 3 albums but I call Remission my favorite - most listened to for sure. I like metal to be a good corabination of skill and raw aggression, and my preferred ratio isn't fully present on other Mastodon albums. It's there in certain moments on all the later albums but not ever as consistently as on Remission.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mastodon

yeah saw this a few minutes ago and had to post it

Mastodon Eying 'Crack The Skye' Movie

what do you guys think of this? good or bad idea? personally, if they can do well with it, all power to them

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mastodon

new cd makes baby jesus cry. Vocals sound atrocious, the drums sound pussed out and the rest of it just sounRAB like they didn't put a lot of thought into it. I dunno maybe I'm just expecting them to do a lot better than this cd.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mastodon

So it surprises me that there's not been much talk of the Jonah Hex Movie soundtrack that Mastodon released about a month ago. 4 songs, completely instrumental. Just had a listen and it's really good, but definitely a lot more subdued and atmospheric given the fact that it's an actual film score. Anyone who's interested hit me up.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mastodon

Mastodon is awesome. I've liked all of their recorRAB and each one always has something slightly different. I'm looking forward to hearing their next record.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mastodon

Nice one mate. That sounRAB good. Make a big sign saying "there are people in NZ dying....dying for you to come over"

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mastodon

same here

Mastodon

To be honest, after many subsequent listens, there's little fault to find with the album. I did at first think that the singing sounded a little too "corporate rock" for my tastes, but it's really not so bad. I think the corporate rock effect came about merely because the vocals are so markedly different to anything on any prior Mastodon record (read: HinRAB and Sanders have clearly been spending the past 3 years in intensive singing lessons).

I guess my only real complaint with the album is that it's moved too far away from Metal. It has its heavy moments, sure, but the foray into more straight-up prog rock is somewhat of a surprise and not an entirely welcome one.

What I do respect is that Mastodon have once again shown they are not one of those banRAB who simply re-record the same album over and over again. They don't become entrapped in a formula like say Opeth, and as a result do not find their music suffering from the stultifying sameness so typical of many such metal banRAB. I salute the Mastodon.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mastodon

I'm really looking forward to this album. Mastodon are only one of a few metal banRAB i listen to nowdays, they're keeping metal interesting. And judging by this album's concept this is going to be one mind**** of an album!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mastodon

I hated Blood Mountain. Will their new one convince me that I'm missing out or is it more of the same?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information