Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 69 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

200 greatest guitarists in rock

I would just like to say thanks for actually putting Rory Gallagher on the list. Personally he would be near the very top of my list. But thats my bias.
    I am just glad someone appreciate some of his talent.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Don`t you mean hard rock?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

No I would say this for any player that is called emotionless and robotic when its the complete opposite. Playing fast doesn't mean you can't be emotional, and he is. If Bo Diddley had the guitar ability to play faster, he probibaly would have, but he didn't have the chops.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah, because Ramone and Cobain are not influencial guitarists at all.

*Sarcasm.*

What the hell did I just say? Skill/Talent is part of the criteria, this isn't a best guitarists list.

What constitutes talent is your opinion, and like my own personal opinion about which of these guitarists are and aren't talented (though I think everyone here is talented in some way), it's totally worthless when regarding this list, every guitarist here has some kind of influence, meaning somebody always disagrees with you no matter which guitarist you say shouldn't be here. If you think that because a guitarist has a stripped down, power chorRAB based style it translates to having no talent whatsoever and thus he/she shouldn't be on this list, then you might as well argue for me to exclude all punk guitarists if you're gonna make an argument like that, and that of course, would be retarded.

I'm not gonna judge every guitarist here by how well they can solo, because not every guitarist is a soloist, and not every guitarist is a rhythmist or riff maker. It's hard to make a list with Steve Hackett AND Johnny Ramone using the same criteria, but I'm not comparing their abilities or talents, rather what they have contributed to their respective genre, what they've innovated and the guitarists they have influenced. Of course Hackett is higher, because his superior guitar skills give him the edge. But that dosen't take away from what guys like Ramone have done for rock guitar either.

What matters is, some people think they're talented, to deny their influence and impact (as guitarists) is foolish.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

There are no worRAB to describe how stupid this AshleighJane character is.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'd say kind of edgy is an appropriate description. They were kind of edgy for popular music of the time, but there was more usual music out there at the time to be sure.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

You could compare him to some creative guitarists. I mean, I think I personally have more of a taste for music than the auditory enema Slash manages to produce every few years.

Paul Gilbert is good, but he doesn't really force much emotion into his songwriting. And his voice scurrs me.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Because he doesn't look like this.

Geez Urban, don't you know anything about guitarists?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

How does this make them different from any other prog band?

Oh yeah, they're not actually doing anything progressive or worth listening to.

DT stick to the same tired prog metal formula over and over. They don't take risks and while they're certainly talented, they have the ability to reinvent themselves and do something fresh and interesting, they simply choose not to, which I think is even worse than not being able to do it in the first place.

They have stayed pretty much the same for over 20 years. For them not to try and free themselves of the creative shackles they have limited themselves with, it's not very faithful to what prog rock is all about.

Even the worst prog banRAB can do that, the important thing is how they use it.

Yes and sometimes you can do some great things with a lot of notes, but sometimes you can do a lot with very few.

I don't consider Petrucci to be a very melodic player, I'm sure he has material that is very melodic, but that just makes me think less of him, that means he chooses to do nothing but wank, rather than being incapable of doing anything else.

But either way, there's other highly technical guitarists who have a better understanding of melody than he does, Buckethead and Eric Johnson for example.

As for Hendrix, I have yet to hear Petrucci do anything on the level of melodic brilliance that Hendrix has done, especially with songs like Little Wing.

I never said they were.

If you want a fast AND melodic player. Try John Mclaughlin or Al di Meola.

None of them are rock guitartists.

I'm trying to be objective here, I'm not excluding genres that I feel are creatively inferior, I'm trying to represent every genre of rock music and measuring how much guitarists have contributed to their genre, I admit my rankings are not THAT well thought out and could use some work though, but I don't really care about a precise order as much as just plain acknowledgement.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information