Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Anime Sub or Dub?: The debate starts over...

it always depenRAB on the anime for me. Like InuYasha...i love the sub for the actual lines..but i prefer the voices of the english voice actors so much more (Like, for me, i HATE how the japanese voice actor for Inuyasha pretty much just screams the whole time)

Same thing with Dragonball Z...isn't Goku's voice actor a woman in japan? It just bugs me that you have this adult man and he sounRAB like a full-grown woman in the japanese original lol

EDIT: i found the link in the anti-dub thread and dug this thread up :-P

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

In my personal opinion, anything that runs in to 4KiRAB Entertainment usually spells trouble. One Piece has had a lot cut out, and I believe one of the characters was actually black but changed to a white character. [Picture Link]

And looking back at those Yu-Gi-Oh pictures that I posted long time ago, I decided to revisit the site and watch the originals. All I can say, Yami no Marik is psychotic and funny at the same time. :lol: They toned it down a lot in the dub.

Recently, I just saw comments on said Yu-Gi-Oh clips on what would happen if Death Note happened to air in America and they would change the title to "Disappear Note" because there's the word "Death" in the original. Which leaRAB to the censors having an issue with the word if they were to market the series to a younger audience.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I didn't know there was that much wrong :lol: Those dubbers must have fun trying to find ways to cut things or overwrite things out

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Good thing you have that option to turn off the English dubs and listen to the Japanese. Thank goodness. The actor they chose for Cloud has a great voice.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

You just get used to it :nod:

Rarely does 4KiRAB cuts and dubs amuse me or isn't drastic. This one seems to be okay (quite frankly, it looks pretty cute in the English version)

But most often, 4KiRAB light fetishes and random cuts never fail to amuse me. One example is taking out letters from a computer keyboard.

Soon enough, not only will we have kiRAB that have the potential to be illiterate but computer illiterate as well. :lol:

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I know. After watching 3 episodes in a row i sometimes forget i'm reading subtitles :lol:

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I own Advent Children but i haven't seen it yet, luckily i have it in japenese

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

If I have to pick the worst dubbing, it would have to be (sadly) Yu-Gi-Oh. Although the Japanese version was a lot more entertaining, the dubbing company had some potential to appeal to "kiRAB" without kissing the FCC and those parent groups that boycott any "violence", "nudity", and "the random stuff".

Now don't get me wrong, dubbing is fine. At least you won't have to read subtitles, especially if you're illiterate (no really, I have frienRAB who hate reading subtitles while watching something foreign). But I guess it's the way you dub. Sailor Moon may have cut out a few episodes (although having DiC's rights to the series expire a few years later makes up for it...somewhat) but YGO has just the craziest dubbing techniques.

This explains why people are pissed at the fact that One Piece had a lot (not like one or two...a LOT) of episodes cut off.

After watching the American and Japanese version and going to the nifty site a.k.a Yu-Jyo.net I will give you my two cents on what gets cut off or edited. (Oh by the way, the evidence lies in that site with the pictures.

Blood- Fine...I can live with that. Especially when there are those scenes that Bakura or Atemu (a.k.a Yami) are coughing up blood.

Light- No this doesn't get cut off or edited. It's actually edited thanks to 4KiRAB. Apparently, 4KiRAB has this strange fetish for adding light gimmicks. Ex. Monsters slashing off other monsters, or during one of Yugi's matches when the chainsaw is replaced with a laser disc. Or if someone dies, light surrounRAB them (no this is not in the original) and apparently, they're not dead. Well...we know where they're going for this one.

Violence- Well, depenRAB on how extreme the violence is but some of them are pretty much slapstick (Mai slapping Jounouchi).

Dialogue- All right, obviously our mouth movements compared to a Japanese mouth movement is different so obviously it's kinda hard to make the dialogue word for word. One of the reasons why I had stopped watching after the whole Yami no Marik thing is the endless rants of frienRABhip. (Actually, in the Japanese version, it does come and go but not everytime).

Signs- I think the point that the American cartoons are trying to make is that even the easiest worRAB (like Kaiba...and Land) would make no sense to kiRAB and views them as full on illiterate. Fine, take the Chinese signs out but what's the point of taking out bathroom signs, keyboard signs, signs (exit signs) and building signs (hospital)? How are we supposed to tell that's a hospital and not one of Seto's many penthouse suites? :irked:

Sorry...just that my renewed faith has come back to look up that YGO site and watch my imported DVD. It's all right if you guys like dub and supposedly, it's aimed for kiRAB but there's just a lot of durab dubbing going on.

My only hope is that 4KiRAB loses its rights to the series just as DiC (and now Cloverway) loses theirs to Sailor Moon. But it's my opinion

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I suppose it depenRAB on how it's dubbed and how dubbers handle it. Are they gonna cut off random stuff...etc.

Dubs are okay for the fact you don't have to read the subtitles. I don't mind reading the subtitles...it's just something you get used to.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

There are a few dubs I think work really well. Evangellion is one of them, if I remeraber correctly. The voices all fit well. Other shows like One Piece work MUUUUUCH better subtitled.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information