Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    suki1724

"individualized" allergy shots???

I've been seeing an allergist who is also a naturopath. He first had me stop eating wheat and dairy, which did actually seem to help my allergies and asthma a little. I'm allergic to pollens, mold, dust, animal dander, ragweed, etc, etc. Also, shellfish, eggs, and spinach.

Now he says that they will do "individualized" allergy testing, and make up antigens "just for me". I will be giving the allergy shots to myself at home every four days and they claim that most patients start to feel better in as little as two weeks. When I asked them about the safety of giving myself these shots at home, they said that there should be no problem, because the antigens are created for me, so there shouldn't be any bad reactions.

This doctor seems to be helping a lot of people, but I'm just a little nervous about giving myself shots at home.

Had anyone else had these kinRAB of shots? I would love to get some relief from these rotten allergies. I did have traditional shots as a child that didn't seem to help me much.

MountainReader

I've known people who have done their own shots at home and been fine. The docs I've been to want you to sit around the clinic after the shot to ensure there isn't a reaction.

All allergy shots are "individualized". They are formulated to help you build up tolerance to the specific things you are allergic to.

What type of testing are they doing for you. Most people have the skin prick test, the intradermal test or blood testing. In my opinion, the blood testing is best for food allergies, but not as good for checking on severity of all environmental allergies. I've had the other tests a couple times and while they were both good, I feel I got the most out of the intradermal test.

suki1724

The testing is intradermal. They explained that they will keep injecting me until I DON'T react, and that is my starting dose.

I asked what they do in case of a bad reaction to the testing, and they said they'd give me some sort of alkalizing drink?

I'm wondering why all allergists don't use this method if it supposedly works so well and so quickly....

MountainReader

The intradermal shots were really good for me in identifying the exact severity of my allergies. I ended up with a couple hundred of them though so you might want to prepare yourself. I had shots in rows up and down both arms until there was no room left at all.

If you do shots at home, I'd ask for an epi-pen to have on hand just in case. Do they do the first shots in their office to see how you react?

sue430

I would do my research on this doctor. It is almost not done to let patients give their own allergy shots due to the possibility of life threatening reaction. I also do not think that an akalyzed drink will get you out of a serious anaphylactic reaction. I get my shots in an allergists office which is part of a larger clinic with all kinRAB of doctors & a full emergency room. The nurses aren't even allowed to give shots if an allergist is not in the office, even though the patient could be treated in the e.r. if there was a reaction. Patients can & do die if they have a serious reaction & medical help is not readily available. Please check everything out thoroughly before making a decision.

janewhite1

I'm also somewhat suspicious. Any time a substance you are allergic to is deliberately injected, there's a risk of serious reaction. Which leaves 2 possibilities:

1) The allergy shots are fake.

2) You might have a serious reaction while alone at home. It's not likely, but it's possible.

suki1724

Thanks. I'm thinking the same thing. I just know that there are A LOT of people coming and going picking up antigens and it took me 6 months to even get an appointment with his office, so I think he's helping a lot of people.

I'm also considering going to LaCrosse for the allergy drops, which I guess you bring home with you and self-administer.

I hate having allergies.

Titchou

I will say that I have done them both ways...at home and at the doctor's office. As I understand it, the ones you give yourself are much more diluted. The ones that allergists give now in their offices, the standard 5 year regimen, are much more potent. Hence, the reason they want you to stay. Frankly, I hated giving myself the shots. I hate shots and I really never adjusted well to it.

As for the drops, they are somewhat popular in Europe but not so much here. I understand that most insurance doesn't pay for them as they consider them experimental. I've known one person who did them and they did not work for her.

jennybyc

If they are letting you do it at home, it is so diluted that it won't do you much good. That is why people like me are getting allergy shots again and again...this is my 5th series. They made them way to weak to last very long. The allergy overcomes whatever "immunity" you build up.

I suspect that if you do either the drops or the at home shots, you will be fighting the allergies forever until you take it seriously and get the concentrated injections.

As for giving yourself the shots, I do that for my rheumatoid arthritis. Easy. Do it once yourself and you won't be afraid after that. A sub-Q injection is easy and almost completely painless.

But I'd rather go to an allergist who gives the full formula shots so that I get a good "immunity" to the allergen. And insurance pays. You should always be suspicious of any treatment where insurance won't pay.

I have gone into anaphylactic shock from my allergy shots in the office. I didn't have my Epi-Pen on me that day and now they won't give me my shots until I produce the Epi-Pen. They want me to inject myself if it happens so I am not afraid to use it when I need it. And if it happens again, I know the reaction came back after the first dose of Epi wore off. I might need to use it even if treated in the office. If this allergist/naturapath didn't order you an Epi-Pen, I'd run the other way fast.

You know you are getting a good dose of allergen when you go into shock from it! If it is so diluted or fake that you can do it at home, then why do it? It can't possibly be strong enough to help for long.

As for all the people this doc has helped....can you spell "placebo effect"?

Jenny

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information