Hello PalmTealLover,

I'll try to answer your questions, maybe not all, but here goes.

First, you're right about Pinstall NOT using the "windows installer". It is simply a program that runs under windows. (A "Dos" program with a GUI front end so to speak). Prevents you from having to open a "command" window to run it. The GUI portion needs some registry entries for program Icons and how the program is run. One of your examples shows "pinstall.exe %1", this indicates that a parameter, %1, will be sent to it and will be used for the installation (program files you'll be installing).

Where you say "deleted the unzipped app and the shortcut and moved the zip to its new program folder and reopened. It worked great, but no icon..."

Did you "unzip" the program in the new location? A file in a "Zipped" file many times doesn't show an icon. I just moved the application from where I had "unzipped" it to the C:\Program Files\Palm directory and I have an Icon with the application there. I then created a desktop shortcut, and the shortcut has the icon as well.

I think the registry entries you're looking at are the "registered" entries for using Pinstall - file types associated with it and the icon to be used.

One of the "options" on the Pinstall is "unregister filetypes". It also has "register filetypes". I think if you "unregister filetypes" you'll discover the registry entries will "go away".

If you want to go back to it at a later time, "register filetypes".

As for speed - what is the speed you have set on the "Palm" for Hotsync.

On the Palm, open HotSync - don't perform one, just open the application. Then On menu - select "connection setup". Under the "available connections select Cradle/Cable then select Edit, then select Details. You should then be able to see the speed of 115,200 and Flow ctl: automatic. I'm not sure if this has any effect on Pinstall, but I know that the Pinstall speeds are among the fastest when I install an application.

As for a complete uninstall - I think all that is necessary is:

a - unregister filetypes
b - delete the application
c - delete the shortcut

Most, if not all your registry entries for Pinstall should be gone.

Hope this is understandable.

fnagle/Frank