Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Viruses and Spywares

I have been using Card Export Software which allows you to use your sd card as a flash drive. (Just like Card reader). It is really fun, as i get to carry my palm TX (dont forget the cable in the pocket!!) where ever I go and when the need comes to transfer files to/from some computer I just need to connect the Tx to the computer and it acts like a flash. No need for the host computer to have Palm software installed. Great. Correct? Wait!

Last week I had to transfer an important medical document from a friend's computer and I obiviously used my TX as Flash drive. At my house when I connected my Tx to my computer and switched the flash drive mode via card export, immediately my desktop detected viruses(a trojan and a worm- I think), which I could remove. Then I scanned my SD card with my Desktop based antispyware program and again I found 3 spyware programs(trojan, a logger and something else - I forgot).

Please be warned about having enough protection with antiviruses and antispywares when you decide to use your palm as a flash.

Is there any damage these viruses can do to the Palm itself? If so is there any antivirus software for Palm?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Viruses and Spywares

Viruses aimed at a desktop OS can be carried by a PDA or phone in transferred documents and so pass on to a future desktop host, but they cannot actually infect your device. The OS coding and unit CPU are completely different. There is simply no place on your device for them to take hold. They would need to be written to exploit your device OS to have any direct impact. However, as you have found, they can be carried in documents you are using your device to transport between desktop systems, the greatest danger when there is no syncing process that translates a file into a form tailored for your device and so strip out the virus as unsupported code.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information