Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Most Animation Is Kid Stuff vs. For General Audiences: The Debate Continues.

After going through the thread concerning unashamed cartoon watching, it got me to thinking about something for a while now. I think the most apparent reason why some who try to convince others and have a hard time getting through to them that most animation isn't just kid stuff but really more so for general audiences, is because of some animated material not being as perfect or up-to-par enough as others or more so than others. Those particular shows and movies may be according to some or most, but then again, is it really a matter of who's right and who's wrong about them? While an animated work may be one's gem, it may also be another's fake nugget. And we all have varying takes on them. So who's to say for sure and how does one really know, if that's the sense? What may hinder some from taking our word for them is the general falsification that all animation is the same in a bad way, that is, dumbed down and patronizing for one (of course, that's not true about each one). Therefore, what do the anti-cartoon nay-sayers know about them generally? Not much apparently and the proof would show them just how much they know if only they'd take the time to try and check out some tip-top stuff, and not be so narrow-minded or cartoon-a-phobic. Because they'll never know unless they actually attempt to find something that grabs out and appeals to them. If they still don't, well then more cartoons for us who know better. This is just a theory that came to me one day afterwards. And if what y'all say is true about the majority of cartoons, then the stickers on the plastic wrap of the DVD cases that mention the title, price, genre, etc., should mention the genre as animation rather than children in most situations. What do y'all say?

Well my stance is this. Animation is a medium with several categories. Animation by definition, is to give life to. Where in those statemeants are kids only written? No where. At one time, animation, cartoons in particular, were considered everyone's entertainment. Not just little Timmy's. So where did the stereotype that animation is all dumb-downed obnoxious kid's stuff? Ever since that scenerio was born, it never dissapeared. But, of course, animation isn't. Animation as a medium, is just as wide and diverse in style and appeal as live action is. It definately isn't one genre, one kid's only genre. It has many categories. We have cartoons, which is defined as drawings that depict a humorous situation, action oriented stuff, drama, horror, sketch comedy, romantic, and then there's just pure imaginitive animation a la "Howl's Moving Castle." The list goes on and on. I could see how the bland, horribly animated shows of the seventies and eighties could bear the stereotype, but then there are such theatrical subjects as Loony Tunes. A series that, even with it's wide appeal, is considered kid's only by such people as even my own Mother, who buys in to aforementioned stereotype. It never ceases to amaze me how narrow minded some people are.

Hey! I had no idea you personally know my father.

Eheh... well, anyways... as someone who lives in a family filled with people that's nightly viewing consists of "Generic Crime Procedural #'s 2276-2295", I lost the battle trying to convince them that animation is more than "just for kids" years ago. My mom doesn't seem to care too much, one way or another... but my dad... oh man, that guy frustrates me to no grueling end when it comes to this kind of stuff. He's like one of these people that you almost know was born as an adult; it's like he never had a childhood. He grew up in the era of Looney Tunes, The Flintstones, and such... yet none of that appeals to him. Nothing in the field of animation appeals to him.

Trying to convince the masses that already have a set opinion about animation is an uphill battle that you're never going to win. Personally, at this point, I've given up on it. "To each their own" is basically the line that I live buy when it comes to animation; some people like it (such as myself), while others (such as my dad) don't. Nothing much more you can say or do about it.

Heh, my mom is exactly like that, nothing animation wise, other than Toy Story appeals to her.

Same here, although even TS is child's play to her. Just yesterday my dad asked me if I was getting Toy Story 3 when it came out and my mom said, "why, he's not a baby." I proceeded to defend it as I frequently do with other cartoons in that situation and once again my mother remained stubborn with her fixed mindset. It's annoying that she doesn't understand that it's not just for kids, and more so that she thinks her opinion is a fact that she has to get across. At least my dad seems to enjoy and respect animation as I often catch him watching Pixar movies, SpongeBob, or Tom and Jerry, so I guess I got it from him.

As annoying as it is, I don't see the stereotype dissapearing anytime soon. It's a slap in the face to the artists who take time to create such masterpieces. It just makes me wonder where the stereotype origionated.

Wow, I feel so much more appreciative of my dad who accepts my animation loves and even watches anime with me.

Probably cause he was raised around comic books when he was younger.

I don't think the stigma will ever go away for the masses if only because the older generation was raised around said cartoons being a children's thing.

For me it depends on the show itself, I mean, I wouldn't want my 5 year old (if I had one) watching Aqua Teen Hunger Force or any other Adult Swim cartoon because those aren't for "general audiences", but me being in my 20's am not going to sit down and watch a show like Strawberry Shortcake because a show like that is not really for my age range and is geared more toward young childre. I find that pretty much most action cartoons can be geared toward a general audience, shows like Batman, Ben 10, X-Men and other superhero cartoons seem to do fine at capturing the attention of folks both old and young and I would consider those cartoons to be geared toward a "general audience". Shows like The Regular Show, Spongebob, Chowder, MAD and Flapjack do a good job at capturing a wide variety of people both old and young as well, so all in all it really depends on the content of the show itself.

The problem in the U.S. remains: Most animation in this country is produced for grade schooles and the parents that drag them to the movie theaters.

Only recently has a wellspring of animation for young adults appeared. Who'd have thunk that a major broadcast network would committ its most popular night f TV to animation for young adults and teens? Late Night animation for college students? Bloody action-adventure-drama on Spike? And so forth...

Yet, an animated product for adults will need to make bank for the kiddievision stereotype to dissolve. Cameron's Avatar won't do it, cuz it's not "animated" enough. Pixar films won't do it, cuz they are still marketed as "family films". And so on...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information