Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

American Dad - Roger plots

There's been a lot of wacky episodes on American Dad to date, but it I've been thinking recently: it strikes me as odd that there just seems to be a couple of really good alien-centric plots that would be perfect for the show and never got explored.

Before I blow into these, let me be clear that with the way the show has run, its certainly *NOT* a good idea to do these sorts of episodes in anything resembles back to back.

There's a few I've thinking of:

Roger Returns Home: It seems to me that there should easily be a plot where Roger gets a chance to try to return home and some how botches it. Something along the lines of Roger's people accidently finds him on Earth and says "What the heck, lets rescue him" and ends up racing the CIA to the landing site has to abandon the chance to go home or let the Smith Family get caught harboring an alien.

More mistaken abductions: The one episode where the guy at the comic convention sees Roger and thinks he abducted him would be something ti think could be expanded upon. Roger looks (roughly) like the typical grey aliens and having another episode revolving around people believing he abducted them could be very interesting.

Alien Domination: I'm surprised they really haven't delved into any story plot that involves people believing there's a conspiracy theory to take over the planet and Roger is some how involved in this.

Flying Saucers: The final one that comes to mind is an episode revolving around Roger discussing the Flying Saucer phenomia with something bizzaire or absurd.

Well I think the problem with some of the alien domination ideas is that, I believe, I haven't seen the show in a while, but there was an episode where Roger was sent to Earth by his people to determine whether or not Earth was worthy of keeping their planet. Only to find out that it was just a scheme to get Roger to go away.

So that pretty much proves that a.) His people know about Earth and have no interest in it and b.) His planet doesn't even want him back, so there would be no need for a rescue.

What we found out from that episode is that he was considered a "Crash test dummy". We don't even know if it was his own species that made "that call", it could have been another one entirely.

We also don't know if his space shuttle was aimed towards Earth or it just randomly wound up there.

We also don't really know how his species fits into anything on the series.

There's a lot we don't know about Roger that could expand into some interesting stories.

Personally, I tend to like to use ALF is a guideline of some of the more interesting things they COULD do.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information