Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Symbian IM software connectivity?

I bought my E73 from T-Mobile back in September. I was out of town over the Christmas weekend, and decided to try the built-in Instant Messenger application for the first time. While the program is T-Mobile branded, the About page reads "Instant Messaging, Powered by OZ, Copyright 2002-2010 OZ Communications Inc.", if anyone knows it. I logged into T-Mobile's web site today on 12/27 to pay my December bill, and was shocked to find that over the weekend I'd used 109 text messages, with an additional charge of over $20! I don't typically use SMS and am billed using their pay-as-you-go service. I do pay for voice minutes and unlimited data. I'd assumed the OZ IM program used data....LIKE PRACTICALLY EVERY OTHER IM PROGRAM IN THE WORLD. If I had not logged into their web site today, I don't know how many SMS messages would have accumulated. And there was never any popup warning from the program, no mention in the program's Help files, no SMS/Internet switch in the Settings, and no warning of any kind from T-Mobile.

My question: of the third-party IM programs available for Symbian, do ANY use SMS for their transport, instead of IP/Internet? How unusual is this OZ program compared to its peers? Thanks!

Well yes, a lot of the popular ones use data these days but there are some that still use SMS like the good old days of when data rates were just too high for almost everyone. Also, some people still prefer them to use SMS since a lot of plans these days come with unlimited text or a bucket of SMS for free.

I noticed that a lot of the built-in ones by the carriers still seem to like to use SMS. The 3rd party ones seem to be the way to go.

try slick messenger by lonely cat games. Im+ is good and what i use. Also ebuddy is good. They all use data and not sms.

Thanks for the IM background information and software suggestions. I was going to install Nimbuzz, but will try Slick Messenger first, as it appears to be a lighter application. I love the software suggestions I get on this site!

I've used IM+ alot, but recently its been frequently disconnecting from MSN. I tried Nimbuzz, which doesn't drop the connection.

Looking on the IM+ forums, appears ShapeServices aren't going to develop the Symbian version much more. Just small maintenance releases.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information