I got a DUI, and the police department impounded my car. They are holding it for 30 days. My lein holder called me up and said we can hold your car for cheaper if you want, its better than paying 80 dollars per day at the impound lot. I thought they were doing me a favor so I said yes sure!

Then I got a notice in the mail today stating they my car had been repossessed and I had 10 days to pay off the entire amount of it will be sold at auction! I never even asked them to take the car, they called me and offered a lower rate to hold the car. Now they have reported on my credit that my car was repossessed, which took my 760 credit score down to a 623 according to experian.

How is this legal? I cannot even get my car back legally for 30 days, which is 2 days after they sell off my car. How can they say my car was repossessed when it never was? I have no problem making payments, but they refuse to let me. Its either pay 11k dollars to them, and leave the repo on my credit report, or let them sell off the car themselves and I will still owe them money and my credit will still show this.

I dont want my credit ruined, I really dont care about my car. However best case scenario is I get my car and my credit back to where it was. What can I do? Anyone can refer me to an attorney who can handle this?