Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is a 1000cc Ducati too much?

I'm thinking of getting my first motorcycle in a few months, and I'm thinking probably a Suzuki tu250x, because I've read it's a good idea to start out small. I'd love to own a Royal Enfield (probably a classic 500) in the future as well, and that would probably be after at the very least a year on the 250. But I think my dream motorcycle is the Ducati gt1000. I was wondering when it's a good idea to move up from- first a 250cc to something like a 500cc or 600cc- and second- from a 500 or 600 to a 1000 or up, or if I should go in between those. Is it necessary to wait a few years to get accustomed? And finally, is a 1000cc too much for daily use? I'd probably mostly be using it as a commuting bike, around the city, town, freeway, maybe a few long trips, but when you're in the city do you need all that power?
    Would it be possible to put in a less powerful engine in a bike that's built with a 1000cc engine?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well just think about it like this. I can pretty much promise you that everybody is going to drop or scratch or do something to there first bike. And it is ok to do this cuz you are learning how to take care of a bike and learn about your bike. It would suck pretty bad if you got your dream bike first and then you dropped it or scratched it (which it will happen) and then ducatis costs a fortune to own and maintain. Which is exactly why you don't see a lot of people with ducatis. I would get a cheap 250cc and just ride it all the time and get the feel of riding and get a couple hundred miles under your belt so you have built your skill up. And then get a 600cc bike and ride it for awhile and then if you want your ducati then you can trade the bike in for one. And then you would have your dream bike and have the skill to ride it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information