I'm 6 months pregnant and I am already concerned with how I will raise my child. I really want to raise him with a consistent set of rules with consistent discipline to accompany them....but when do you start that? When is it too early to start disciplining a child? I am a first time parent and I don't know when children cross the line from crying/acting out because they need something to crying/acting out because they're having a tantrum/testing their boundaries. Obviously I understand that babies cannot possibly throw a tantrum, but what I'm talking about is the transition from a baby to a toddler with a somewhat conscious idea of what he is doing/what consequences are and appropriate behavior is. Is it 1.5 years? 2 years? I don't know!

I think the reason why I am concerned with this is because when I was in college I worked at the gift shop in my city's ZOO and I witnessed a LOT of awful parenting and a LOT of really really bratty, spoiled children. I want to make sure I discipline my child/teach him what is appropriate from the earliest appropriate/developmental age so that I don't start letting him develop bad habits that will turn into tantrums and bad behavior later.

This was a long ramble and I hope it makes sense. Can anyone steer me in the right direction? I am a first time parent so I'm feeling a little lost and want to make sure I have a plan in place to help my boy be a well behaved little guy from as soon as he is capable.