Here is a summary of the research project assigned to David Quimby and I regarding Pepsi XL. Which is the reduced-sugar cola drink being introduced by our companies No. 1 competitor.

In just under a years time, Pepsi-Cola developed this new drink. Containing a mix of 50 percent sugar (high-fructose corn syrup) and 50 percent artificial sweetener (aspartame). Apparently, Pepsi-Colas plan is to spend over $8 million to introduce the drink and to assess consumers reactions to it. It will be tested on the (shelves) of (groceries), mass merchants, and convenience stores in five (cities) in Florida.

The (companies) spokesperson said, "The 'X' stands for excellent taste and the 'L' for less sugar." Aimed at young adult's who don't like the taste of aspartame but who want to control (calories), the new cola is a hybrid sugar-and-diet drink. Our (studies) show that similar drinks tried in this country in the 1990's were unsuccessful. On the other hand, a 50-calorie low-sugar cola introduced in Canada two year ago was well received a 40-calorie soda is now marketed successfully by Coca-Colas distributors in Japan.

However, neither Mr. Quimby nor myself believe that theres any reason for this countru consumers to be interested in a midcalorie cola. In fact, all of (our) analysts in the lab were surprised at Wall Streets favorable response to Pepsis announcement of it's new drink Pepsi-Colas stock value rose slightly.

If the decision were up to Mr. Quimby or I, (we) would take a wait-and-see attitude. About the introduction of our own low-sugar drink. Please let me know whether (we) should send our findings to you or to the board.

What I think should be changed is already in parenthesis.