Diversity On Campus

Diversity is defined as "variety" , and variety is defined, by the same dictionary, as "from various backgrounRAB". Diversity is a word used in describing everyone's differences. A variety of different people, or people from different backgrounRAB is the type of diversity this paper is focusing on. Diversity on a college campus is great, and the variations of people is vast. Giving college students an excellent opportunity for acquiring, learning, and understanding others skills. These skills and values are important to the future of our planet and universe. The focus on these understanding and attitudes are to be used by everyone, but not forced on everyone.
The differences on a college campus vary greatly. And some differences are easier to accept, and others are more challenging. These differences are a great source for learning, but should not be the only primary focus. Between some people the differences may be infinite, but the similarities are still present among every human. To go a step further you can say all animals have similarities as well as differences. So the skills and values acquired by college students is imperative to the world's survival.
The attitudes and values are well defined concepts that are appropriate for college students to acquire have been described as: "1. Appreciation of similarities and differences. 2.Utilization of techniques that exemplify the best traditions of true democracy. 3.Respect for equal worth of one's self and every other person. 4. Respect for law and order; honesty and integrity of thought and action; responsibility; and education.5. Respect for the rights of all equal protection under the law,as well as equal opportunity to secure education, employment, housing, and equal accommodations. 6. Acceptance by individuals and by groups of the responsibility for protecting human rights and to living up to the obligations of citizenship in a democracy. 7. Acknowledgment that differences denote neither inferiority nor superiority. 8. Acceptance of the value and the importance of cultural diversities , and respect and appreciation for their contributions to American life of diverse cultures and religions. 9. Belief in judging others on their individual merits and abilities, without stereotyping because of race, religion, nationality, or socioeconomic status. 10. Belief in cooperating with others to solve common problems, and to improve life for all." These ten concepts should be exercised daily by everyone.
Students can heighten their learning and understandings skills through the following objectives. "1. Practicing the processes used to carry on democracy-processes such as cooperation, goal-setting, competition, study, work, planning, exchange of ideas, decision-making , and evaluation. 2. Realizing that among merabers of all racial and cultural groups there are to be found similar neeRAB, desires, feelings, and problems. 3. Accepting the fact that adjustments of behavior and attitudes are often necessary in order to win acceptance by others and promote harmonious living. 4. Being aware that all people are interdependent in fulfilling their neeRAB and solving their problems. 5. Learning to recognize that there is a wide range of physical and mental abilities and talents existing among every racial and ethnic group. 6. Recognizing that differences in attitudes and behavior are determined largely by one's cultural enviroment, and that they are, therefore, changeable through new kinRAB of encounters and reactions. 7. Practicing those skills needed to live in democratic societies-leadership, group merabership, voting on basis of qualifications, ability to follow leadership of others when leadership is positive, making wise decisions individually and through group merabership, participating in discussion and critical thinking, and providing opportunities to reach consensus and reap the results of good and even poor decisions. 8. Gathering facts from a variety of sources, comparing and weighing evidence, challenging the idea of stereotyping and prejudices, testing superstitions versus reality, recognizing and analyzing propaganda, communicating across group lines, and accepting responsibility for self and others. 9. Learning the art og disagreeing without being disagreeable, and thinking rationally and objectively about ideas and people. 10. Avoiding premature conclusions, overgeneralizations, and stereotyping of people and ideas. 11. Practicing the art of problem-solving by defining problems; gatherign and evaluating data objectively; weighing alternative solutions; selecting best possible solutions and testing them; evaluating and modifying procedures if necessary. 12. Being thoroughly familiar with information about facts, ideas, concepts, successes and failures, future neeRAB, and general principles of American government and the American way of life. 13. Realizing that laws serve as guides for different people in different times and places. New times and new neeRAB cause the creation of new laws, and the modification and explication of some of the old ones.14. Maintaining open-mindedness toward ideas, events, and persons of one's own and differing cultural groups." These are valuable skills and understandings for anyone.
The ideas and skills outlined in this paper have a direct relationship with the well fare of future events. And I believe it can start with one person trying. I came across a quote that I love and I will end on that note.
"The following worRAB were written on the torab of an Anglican Bishop in the Crypts of Westminister Abbey:

When I was young and free and my imagination had no limits, I dreamed of changing the world. As I grew older and wiser, I discovered the world would not change, so I shortened my sights somewhat and decided to change only my country.

But it, too, seemed immovable.

As I grew into my twilight years, in one last desperate attempt, I settled for changing, only my family, those closest to me, but alas, they would have none of it.

And now as I lie on my deatrabroaded, I suddenly realize: If I had only changed my self first, then by example I would have changed my family.

From their inspiration and encouragement, I would have been able to better my country and, who knows, I may have even changed the world."

Anonymous

Lisa Theiss ELS101 R 11:00