By Jeff Zillgitt, USA TODAY

Updated

BOSTON – For his next act, Miami Heat forward LeBron James will try to win Game 7.

• By Greg M. Cooper, US Presswire
    Miami forward LeBron James reacts to a call during the third quarter of the Heat's Game 6 win over the Boston Celtics on Thursday.

By Greg M. Cooper, US Presswire
Miami forward LeBron James reacts to a call during the third quarter of the Heat's Game 6 win over the Boston Celtics on Thursday.

Because his effort in Game 6 was theater, magic and performance art on the court where disappointment is no stranger.
James scored a game-high 45 points - 30 in the first half on 12-of-14 shooting - and the Heat defeated the Boston Celtics 98-79 Thursday, forcing Game 7.

"I just wanted to lead my team the best way I could. I'm glad we was able to get this win and now force a Game 7," James said. "We're not going to celebrate this win."
It was what fans want to see from James - a dominating game with so much at stake. He delivered, making 19-of-26 shots, including 12-of-14 in the first half.
"He was absolutely fearless tonight, and it was contagious," Heat coach Erik Spoelstra said. "The way he approached the last 48 hours…Nobody likes getting thrown dirt on your face before you're not even dead. But he showed great resolve the last day before you get to this point."
It was the 11th game of 40 or more points in his playoff career, just shy of playoff career high of 49 against the Orlando Magic in 2009. He also had 15 rebounds for the fourth 40-10 game of his playoff career. He was on pace to play all 48 minutes, but after Miami established an 89-64 lead midway through the fourth quarter, James sat for the final 3:11.
James had just enough offensive help. Again, Wade was not sharp early, but scored 17 points, including 11 in the second half and eight in the fourth quarter when James' scoring pace decreased.
In his second game since returning from a lower abdominal strain sustained May 13 against the Indiana Pacers, forward Chris Bosh had seven points and six rebounds in 28 minutes.
Will Game 7 Saturday (8:30 p.m. ET, ESPN) be the final performance for James and the Heat or will they head to Oklahoma City and play in the NBA Finals for the second consecutive season?
Miami coach Erik Spoelstra conveyed confidence in his pregame news conference, saying, ""I love the group that we have. I loved looking in their eyes yesterday at the team meeting and seeing what's looking back at me."
From the start, James' made his plan clear. Win or lose, he knew he needed his best scoring game of the playoffs. In the first quarter of 17 playoff games, James is averaging a league-best 9.1 points. He increased the averaged with 14 points in an aggressive first quarter.
James had 16 in the second, 11 in the third and four in the fourth. Celtics coach Doc Rivers used a variety of defenders to varying degrees of uselessness.
Miami's job isn't finished. Of the 249 teams to go trail a series 3-2, just 35 have won the series. Boston's isn't exactly playing with house money because they won't be satisfied with anything less than a trip to the Finals. The Detroit Pistons in 2005 were the last time to win a Game 7 conference finals game on the road - at Miami incidentally.
But certainly, more pressure is on Miami. From the second the Miami Heat lost Game 5 and fell behind 3-2 to the Boston Celtics in the Eastern Conference finals, focus centered not only on the Heat's ability but their character, too.
Does Miami have the necessary fortitude?
The Heat responded. But the answer is incomplete.

For more information about reprints & permissions, visit our FAQ's. To report corrections and clarifications, contact Standards Editor Brent Jones. For publication consideration in the newspaper, send comments to [email protected]. Include name, phone number, city and state for verification. To view our corrections, go to corrections.usatoday.com.
USA TODAY is now using Facebook Comments on our stories and blog posts to provide an enhanced user experience. To post a comment, log into Facebook and then "Add" your comment. To report spam or abuse, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find out more, read the FAQ and Conversation Guidelines.