Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Do you think that "mean girls" or male bullies are discussed more?

When I was in elementary school and middle school, it seemed all anyone (in positions of authority, during lectures and discussions about bullying) talked about were male bullies. In high school, all the discussions were about "mean girls." However, in my experience the "mean girls" phenomenon was much more of an issue for me & my friends in middle school, not high school, whereas male bullying affected my (male) friends in high school.

What were your experiences with these two issues? Do you think the dialogue needs to change?

Proud to be a woman
    Male bullies are a disgrace, well, every male is a bully and should be taken care of. Now, with bully girls the story is different, under the feminist commandments by having a vagina you have the right to be a bully, and I say: YEAH! take that chauvinist sc*mbag.

@ rio madeira: are you suggesting that bullying ends with puberty? Not for me and my radical feminist crew, little lady. We're lifetime bullies, and you should know it since we follow the same leaders.
    Holy Jezzie.

teeleecee
    It's like Elaine's gender analysis on Seinfeld...men beat each other up and get over it, women torment each other until someone develops an eating disorder. Men are physical when they act out, women rely on psychological, emotional, verbal types of abuse. By primary school, most females are pretty good at it; by high school, most females are experts at messing with the heads of those they perceive to be weaker. All of it is a way of establishing a pecking order within groups--women have the desire for acknowledgement, recognition and power just as much as men do, but go about getting it in different ways. I experienced no bullying in school, but I've known almost from birth that women are their own worst enemies and will always be harder on one another than a man could ever be. That's in terms of mental manipulation. Physically, men do their own kind of damage. The only possible way to deal with any of it is to acknowledge it and recognize almost instinctively from whom to steer clear In my opinion, I'd rather hang around 20 men than one other woman because women can do a lot of psychological damage...and no, it doesn't end in high school or with marriage. It never ends.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You're right; from my perspective, there were more mean girls in middle school, and a little more male bullying in high school. I figure it had something to do with the fact that puberty tends to hit girls sooner. After a few years, we pretty much forgot all the old drama.

Conor A
    girls are cuz society thinks that they should be nice and docile and all dat stuff

Newbie - NLP

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    With guy bullies i noticed that if a guy stood his ground or beat the crap out of the person bullying him he was left alone.

Girls do pick on each other in groups i noticed and they would kind of use mental abuse rather then physical abuse much difficult for teachers to spot. Both however did progress into high school i think, i feel that being bullied by guys is easier to stop then girl bullying.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mean girls. I haven't really experienced any of these too much. I just kind of minded my own business. In elementary school, I got picked on, but I don't remember what for.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Zero tolerance. Ever since Columbine, schools have to practice zero tolerance, because, most of the time, these "bullies" leave some sort of evidence of their intentions behind.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    hmm I knew mean girls all through my life. Hell, I still know mean girls.However, I don't have any male friends that are being "bullied" in their 20's hahaha. so take that however you want. I dunno what it means? I mean guys are mean in their 20's. It could be that being mean is simply learned as socially acceptable behaviour for a young girl who is taught not to act out in violence. I think violence is encouraged in young males in some ways... cause then they can feel like a "man". But it's hard to say. I enver got to go to university and take gender studies. I'd love to tho! It sounds interesting.

Probation Member

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I wouldn't know. I was myself a strong person with the right ideas and words to fit in the situation, to the extent that some would have considered ME a bully (none called me that though).

But the thing is, bullying isn't gender-specific. Boys are just more physical while girls are more psychological -- they're training for life after marriage!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information