Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast
    planet news
    planet news
's Avatar

One Movie A Day Remix

You only praise Rear Window and offer no criticisms. Yet you knocked off 2 points (on a 10 point scale). I can't go as low as an 8. That, as I see it, means that 20% of the film was bad. No. Absolutely not. I'd say maybe 5% of the film. Because it's definitely not as in depth as some other Hitchcock's I'd shave off an additional 5% for discretion. Can't believe you thought Inception was better.

honeykid
    honeykid
's Avatar

One Movie A Day Remix

Good to see these additions to your thread, TUS. I thought nothing of Panic Room when I saw it. I have a copy somewhere around here, so maybe I'll take a look at it again someday.

TheUsualSuspect
    TheUsualSuspect
's Avatar

One Movie A Day Remix

Day 72: July 11th, 2010

The Fifth Element

It Mu5t Be Found

The Fifth Element is my second favourite Luc Besson film and one of his more ambitious projects. It deals with a taxi driver in the future, one day a package literally falls into the backseat of his cab. This package is a woman, a beautiful woman that he must protect because she is the fifth element. Oh, and the world is going to end.

This film is fun, plain and simple. It's a sci/fi outing that doesn't take itself seriously and has quite the impressive cast. Bruce Willis does his tough guy routine here with bits of comedic relief. Think John McClane in space, that might be how he was sold on the film. Supporting roles go to Ian Holm as Father Vito Cornelius, a man who knows a lot about the fifth element, but doesn't have the brawn to keep it protected. Chris Tucker as Ruby, a celebrity that likes to talk and talk and talk. Something that all Chris Tucker roles have in common is that he has a big mouth. Here, it's not irritating like in Rush Hour 3. Milla Jovovich is the fifth element, an orange haired female ass kicker who looks great while doing it. This role is where she got noticed.

The villain is played by non other than Gary Oldman himself. The guy is a great villain and his take on the evil Zorg is both humourous and sad. He doesn't really strike fear into your heart, but you know the man in dangerous. His outfit is ridiculous, as is almost everyone else's attire in this film, yet it doesn't distract from his evil doings.

The film is almost the complete opposite of what many sci/fi films are like, in terms of presentation and look. This future is bright and colourful, not the neon glows of Blade Runner, but the bright yellows of taxi cabs or the watery blues of opera singing aliens. This is one of the reasons why this film stands out for me, it's so vibrant and cheerful, even in it's violence.

I dig The Fifth Element and it's a great film it sit back and enjoy watching. It juggles both sci/fi and action very well and is quite funny at times. The visual effects, while not stunning by todays standards, fit perfectly well for this type of film. It's effects reflect well on the reality that is created for the film. Oh and one more thing I need to say about this flick...it also stars Luke Perry.

[rating]4[/rating]

honeykid
    honeykid
's Avatar

One Movie A Day Remix

Yep, I noticed. I was going to say that you'd done 20 on the trot and how well you were doing. Well, at least I don't feel like I jinxed you now.

So, what films did you watch? Are there going to be reviews?

TheUsualSuspect
    TheUsualSuspect
's Avatar

One Movie A Day Remix

Ah, I meant more along the lines of Snake Eyes.

nebbit
    nebbit
's Avatar

One Movie A Day Remix

Thanks Sussy I have added a few to my must see list

TheUsualSuspect
    TheUsualSuspect
's Avatar

One Movie A Day Remix

Day 21: May 21st, 2010

The Thing

The Ultimate In Alien Terror? I'd Say So.

Yes, I know I said I would not review a film I did last time, but under the circumstances I'm letting this one slide. Not to mention this film is just too good to not really watch again.

The thing about The Thing, is that it is pure bad-ass male testosterone fueled alien sci/fi horror. Kurt Russel with a sombrero flying a helicopter? You can't ask for anything better than that.

The film is about an alien who can perfectly mimic/imitate the host it invades. We start off at an arctic ice station. Perfect for the alien to consume the prey, they have nowhere to go. Not knowing who to trust, the men must survive the arctic conditions and make it to the end, stopping this alien.

Paranoia is what makes this film stand out for me, aside from the great animatronic works that are still terrifying and horrifically grotesque today. I still forget who gets infected when and who to trust. I said last time that re-watching the film, it still held up. Well, I'm happy to say that upon another viewing I'm still in love with it.

Again, Kurt Russell and John Carpenter are a great team. I want a comeback film for both of them. They compliment each other very well. This is one of my favourite collaborations they've done.

I wouldn't have ended it any other way either.

[rating]4.5[/rating]

TheUsualSuspect
    TheUsualSuspect
's Avatar

One Movie A Day Remix

When I rate films I don't rate them on a comparative scale to others. I rate them based on their own limitations.

For example: I find The 40 Year Old Virgin hilarious, one of the funniest movies I've seen and thus rate it highly. [rating]4[/rating]

This is the same ratings as Rear Window, but I would never in my life compare the two films simple because they have the same rating, or think one is essentially better than the other. I laughed my ass off in Virgin, so I felt more entertained by it, but Rear Window accomplishes what few films do, keep me on the edge of my seat. Are they both [rating]4[/rating] films? Sure, but that doesn't mean that they are just as good as each other. Each rating I give is for that film and that film alone.

I take into account not only the story and entertainment value of the film, but the aesthetics and achievement of it as well. Star Wars was innovative and changed filmmaking, as was The Matrix. I rated 2001 A Space Odyssey a [rating]3[/rating] and Club Dread a [rating]4[/rating]. I love Club Dread, people hate it. People love 2001, yet I find it overrated and nonsensical. Yet I do know that 2001 is the 'better' film. I had a 'better' time with Club Dread. Does any of that make some sense, or have I lost all credibility.

As for criticism, I did state how Hitchcock leaving the viewpoint of Stewart during the dead dog scene was unneeded and jarring to the viewer. It in some small way tells the viewer, "yes this is a movie you are watching" and not just be another character in the room with Stewart.

You also mention I knock off two points on a ten point scale. This isn't a ten point scale, it's a 5 point scale, so it is one point. What would be the point of rating something on a 5 point scale if you should be thinking like a ten point scale? For the record, I would rate it an 8.5 on a ten point scale. Depending on how strongly I feel about certain ratings, a 7.5 for me can turn into an 8 or kept as a 7 on an IMDB rating scale for my review.

TheUsualSuspect
    TheUsualSuspect
's Avatar

One Movie A Day Remix

Day 73: July 12th, 2010

Election

Reading, Writing, Revenge.

A high school teacher's life spirals out of control when he complicates things for one student by entering another into the presidential election. Ferris Bueller plays the teacher. The legally blonde Elle Woods is Tracy Flick, the overachieving girl running for president and Chris Klein is the one student tricked into running against her. Alexander Payne cleverly uses the high school setting and antics to poke fun at the political system that runs countries today.

Election has many things going for it. For one, it's incredibly funny. Everyone plays their roles seriously that it's hilarious. Witherspoon is Tracy Flick, without a doubt, my favourite role she has done and her best performance to date. Her goodie attitude is just a shell for her willingness to do anything to get ahead. Broderick is great as the teacher people seem to hate, yet I oddly found myself on his side a lot of times. Sure, he makes some horrible decisions, but you feel sorry for the character because things simply just don't go his way. Finally Klein, an actor I hate because he has no range, here is actually enjoyable. His out of the loop state of mind is fun and he becomes the enemy of Flick without even knowing it.

Election has smart writing and is well directed by Payne. I find no faults in the film from a technical stand point, it flows well, hits the right tones at the right times and I find myself wanting to watch it every time it's on. Election seems to be one of those films that not many people know about or simply think it's not good. But those who have seen it give it praise, well deserved praise. It might not seem like the type of flick you'll enjoy, but give it a chance and I'm sure it will impress.

Pick Flick.

[rating]4[/rating]

Powdered Water
    Powdered Water
's Avatar

One Movie A Day Remix

I laughed so hard during In the Loop I almost peed myself. I understand the TV show it is based from is also worth a look.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information