Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Kids With No Cable Deserve This.

Haven't you said that before? And hasn't someone corrected you as well? The DTV change isn't going to give everyone cable, it's just going to broadcast television digitaly.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I believe Batman and P&TB were both meant to be permanent fixtures of their primetime blocks, but Batman didn't fare so well and was off within a matter of weeks, but Pinky lasted an entire season in it's Sunday night time slot.

The switch to digital has no affect on what a network airs.

Between the Internet, TiVo, DVRs, VCRs (yes, there are still a few of them around), and DVDs, kids can have cartoons anytime they want.

As for whether they "deserve" them, cartoon are a privelege, not a right. No cartoons until they eat their vegatables and finish their homework.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I ain't eating my veggies and doing my homework before watching my cartoonies. :shrug: But yeah, television as a whole is a privilege.

I reject this statement.I don't know. I would wager the opposite.. that only 5-10% of households that would watch cartoons in primetime DON'T have cable, and so trying to target them is a losing proposition. The local nets would certainly make more money airing informercials.

In the early days of the WB they tried all sorts of cartoons in the 7-8pm hour before abandoning it all together on Sundays. The OBLONGS showed up on Sundays towards the end of the experiment (I believe they'd dropped 7-8 by then). The early 7-8 days were PINKY & THE BRAIN and other WB owned properties. I remember Superman, Batman, *AND* other shows. For a time the hour block of Pinky & The Brain was "remotely" successful. Once the WB found a place in the home of teenagers (and girls), they attempted to market as a niche channel.

Infant networks will try different things that premiere networks won't. UPN and WB picked up a slew of animated shows and paid for 13 episodes of each to be run. Both cell and claymation. Let's see: Gary & Mike, Dilbert, Baby Blues, Mission Hill, Home Movies, The PJs, and others were originally produced for them. About half would be acceptable for family viewing, but they were not kids-only intended.

I can understand airing cartoons in the afternoon times but I don't think that playing kids stuff in prime time isn't a good move.

As previously stated, kids being able to watch cartoons is a right, not a privilege. They're nice to have, but kids aren't entitled to diddlysquat.

And so far, except for animated sitcoms, every attempt by the networks to air cartoons on prime-time has never lasted for more than a couple of weeks. Sadly, the notion that cartoons are mostly "kid stuff" is still the prevailing attitude here in the U.S.. Anyway, if kids without cable want to watch cartoons at night, they can always just turn on their parents' VCR or DVD player or visit some internet website and go to town.

You were told about this before, but here it is one mo' time: the February switch to digital does not mean that everyone will get cable. It just means that all TV signals will upgrade to a digital signal and that TV sets with antennae will need a digital receiver in order to get them. The upgrade from an analogue signal to a digital one isn't going to affect how the networks program their schedules. At all.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Perhaps the 4kids digital sub channel I keep talking about could work.... only a dream.:sad:

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information