Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading to HD

Glenn3

Upgrading to HD

Lets say I have 2 dishes....can I point 1 dish to the 91...run all my cables and then run another dish to the 82? will this give me a better single to 82 for HD?

I have been reading its hard to get both just right and I do Have a second dish I can install.

Right now I only run 2 3100 and most always get 95-99%..would like to keep it that way.

Thanks

Pinza

Upgrading to HD

It depends on your location. Two dish's are better if you are way up North for example.

Also with the launch of Nimiq 4 at 82, the signals on that bird are now much higher, I am guessing that with 95-99% on 91 degrees, there is no need for a second dish.

dosborne

Upgrading to HD

Since you are making changes, I'd suggest running all 6 receivers off the same dish. As pointed out, there is littel advantage any more to running multiple dishes. I've gone from 3 down to 1.

Glenn3

Upgrading to HD

Hey guys thanks very much for the info...great

So if I wanted to run 2 different dishes...1 to 91 and 1 to 82..it works that way...great!!

If I were to run all 6 receivers...some of them will be over 100' from the dish...The house is kinda large and I thought I should not run over 100' of rg6 cable....it could weaken the SAT signal I thought.

Again thanks very much for helping out...Iam learning alot

Pinza

Upgrading to HD

100 feet of RG6 is fine, as long as the cable is a good quality one, Commscope or Belden are what Bell use and it is all FT4 and swept to 3 Ghz.

Bringing all 4 lines, 2 from each LNBF into the house, will help for any troubleshooting in bad weather, etc.

Glenn3

Upgrading to HD

I made my mind up...Iam going to go with 2 dishes..heres why

The tv's that Iam going to be uising HD on already have the LNB at 91 SAT. So I get all the channels from that SAT dish except for HD channels.

I really dont want to run anything else from there..last time I was up there I almost fell.....Its about 30 feet up on the side of the house. So I will not touch that SAT dish again....only if its a must.

I'll put the new SAT dish about 15-20 feet under it and run the 82 SAT from that for HD..much saver for me lol

Yes....Iam afraid of heights

Pinza

Upgrading to HD

I see your thinking.

What about mounting the New Dish lower as you planned with BOTH LNBF's and an SW44 etc, and then cut the 2 lines coming from the High Dish and use them as feed into the House.

That would give you 91 & 82 all on the one Dish and all you need then is to get a friend to remove the High Dish later for you.

Do not forget that on 82 are lots of other channels, not just HD, some are even free, dare I say.

Glenn3

Upgrading to HD

Hey Pinza

That cant work for me....those 2 lines comming from that Very high dish run right through the bricks at the dish. I had the brick layer pull them through while the house was being bricked. Then they zig zag through the house to make the shortest possible distance to the sat receiver.

I know now that it was not the way to go. I can still cut em off or just unplug the receivers and run new cable from the new dish...but I really think I'll get better reception from using 1 dish for the 91 sat and 1 dish for the 82 sat. It's gonna be there so why not use it.

Pinza

Upgrading to HD

It was just a thought.

I think the signal levels will be much the same using 2 x 20" Dish's as just the 1. You would get better levels using 2 x 18". Well just to qualify that, I get higher levels here in Southern Ontario with 2 x 18"s than with 2 x 20's. The reason is that the 20" is a compromise shape to catch BOTH birds anyway, the 18" is focused for just the ONE bird.

82 is a stronger signal now anyway so i doubt you will have any problems getting in the upper 90's on it.

Glenn3

Upgrading to HD

Pinza

I have no ideal what size I have now...nerver really thought about it. So what size dish do you think the installer will drop off?

Should I be asking him for an 18 inch dish...since Iam going to use 2 dishes like I said in earlier post.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information