Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    ########

Why should we have black history month??....Isn't every race included in the study of history?

Asians are particularly "new" to the US (most came over with the invention of the railroad and provided much of the labor for laying the tracks). And it is my understanding that they DO have a history month as well. Black Americans, however, have had a silent place among the US forefathers and their unique history was excluded from education. White history was the ONLY history. With such an amzing trajectory (stories, music, language, etc) blacks ought to have a place in American History. Granting one month per year to appreciate African-American contributions is not racist, it is appreciating their perspective and adding their experience to the collective history of the United States.

!?!pessimist!?!

Why should we have black history month??....Isn't every race included in the study of history?

The idea of having a special month designated to each and every race is even stupider than the idea of having just a Black history month. Really we should be learning all history all year round. But if black people want a month to learn their history and remember struggles of past generations, then honestly I don't mind it at all.

#1 dUe DeC 16

As long as racist @ssholes like you continue to live, there will always be people trying to make it up to minorities by giving them months or whatever. Stop getting so butthurt about everything. When everyone recognizes each other as humans, then we won't have a need for black history month and just will have human history year round.

#$%?

http://www.archives.gov/eeo/special-observances/#mayOh look, are you going to complain about the other history months? Come on, they were established by Whites, stop asking this.

!Kellee

we should have black history month becouse it used to be slavery.and people should celabrate that its not like that no more.

!@#$$

Its not like you do anything to "study" black history in this month anyway

!heather!

There is an asian history month, latin history month, etc., but they ar just not as publicized (they also have a few extra days to their months).Blacks are rarely given credit for anything positive, so Black History Month was created to show all Americans positive things that Blacks have contributed, as well as raise Black self-esteem. However, after all of this, most non-Blacks still don't give Blacks credit.I believe that ALL people should learn about ALL history ANY time they please. I know that the Black History that they speak of during the month of February is the same recycled kindergarten stuff. I took it upon myself to read different books, especially history taking place BEFORE the trans-atlantic slave trade. I also learn about the histories of other peoples and persons if it so interests me.The funny thing is though, nobody complains about the "holocaust" when you can hear something about it almost every week (even if it's covertly hidden in a topic). I wonder why? Guess who owns the media...

#1 due March 22nd!!

Well every race wasn't treated like we were now were they.

!¿question!?

now days i understand what your saying, if we can have a "black" president i think we can expect our white teachers to teach equally of blacks and whites. but i can see maybe why it was started when there was a time when white teachers did not appreciate black history and there for chose not to teach it. or maybe we(whites) were hoping they would forget about all that slavery stuff if we gave them a month in school. lol jk

!@#$%^&

Oh stop complaining for God's sakes. There is a Hispanic Heritage Month, Italian Heritage Month, Asian Heritage month. The reason why the month was even created was because our accomplishments weren't taught on a daily basis or put in the history books. How often did you hear about Louis & Clark vs. W.E.B. Dubois?Try reading. It will get you far in life.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information