Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    musicman3

Oxycodone/Oxycontin dependence help please

Jeff, Take immodium. It will help and it does not effect your withdrawal. I would rather you take the immodium than take the opiate to get you through!! Immodium has always helped the bathroom situation for me.

kaus

Im sorry but the comment about being red flagged and not being able to get pain medications because of being on suboxone..... does nt it seem pretty fair to say that modt of us people who are on methadone or suboxone probably are on it because we DONT WANT them??? i have been on methadone for almost a year and i MAKE SURE that i TELL MY DOCTORS (any) doctors that i am on the methadone program and that i DONT want ANY opiate based medications , or anything close to it!!! !Just seems like common sense to be!! not to be ruse or anything, but have you been reading ANY of this??

kaus

okay so reasoning for your day 1 walk in the park... simply because you probably still have enough of the oxy in your system to keep you feeling not too bad... as the days go and so do the oxys, the worse the withdrawls will be..... understand? as the oxys go out of your system you will feel worse.. yes 72 hours is the timeline of it getting out of your system but ... being someone that was also addicted to the oxys, and have gone through it time and time again i will give you MY advice and you can chose what you would like to do with it....... IF... you can do it "cold turkey" all the power to you , but i dont know anything about your situation : like how many mgs you have been using or how long you have been addicted to them.. i will give you my experience... Last october i found myself in a complete disaster and landed myself in jail ( lets just say because of the oxys) i ended up being in jail for 31 days before i got out on bail... i did my last 40 , 20 minutes before i got arrested.. so my night in the holding cell wasnt soo bad, the next day i spent the day in court and was transported to the jail.. by the time i got there i was feeling the withdrawls a little more. i went to sleep for the night and by morning i was a mess.. i dont need to explain the withdrawls because you already know what they are .. the jail gave me a cocktail to help with the withdrawls (immodium, gravol, and something else to help with the restlessness .. i cant remeraber what it was called) they gave that to me for 14 days, by then .. it was over.... HOWEVER it was only the PHYSICAL part of it that was over..i still thought about it all day every day... by the time i got out (31 days later) i wasnt thinkin about it as much and i promised myself i WAS NOT GOING TO DO IT.... at day 45 . i ran into an old friend... they offered.... i took... put myself right back into the hell i had finally just gotten myself out of ( i should tell yu that before my arrest i was taking anything from 5 to 6 80s a day or more.. whatever i could get.... so i tried going to N.A. , addictions outreach, whatever addictions services i could find and even though i was able to tapper myself back i couldnt get past the last 20 mgs or so. even though i hated what i was doing i just couldnt stop.... SO , i ended up going on to Methadone, i take 85 mgs a day and have been off of the oxys since march. i finally feel NORMAL again!! so, MY ADVICE TO YOU IS, think of your situation.. how addicted are you? if you DO quit cold turkey do you think that you have the self control to keep yourself from going back? Because there is alot more to an addiction than actually doing a drug! And i know what some people probably think about Methadone, its just a substitute for another drug, but from someone who is on it , would you rather be jamming pills up your nose or however you take them , trying to come up with money or ways to get another pill a couple times a day, trying to find someone to get them from etc (whatever your situation is) why not atleast take a trip to a clinic and talk to a DOCTOR who KNOWS more about it than any of us do, ( trust me it will be worth it) even if you decide not to go onto the methadone or suboxone they might be able to offer you more supports to help you through it !! You asked in one of your posts if you can even go on methadone at such a low mg intake and someone replied that you have to have it in your system to be accepted onto the program, not true, the will give you a urine test , yes and even though you might not have any in your system at the time if you could.. would you?Plus you will also have to do blood work before going on the program. Im sure that when you talk to the doctor and explain your situation , they would be more than willing to help. the difference in your situation with such a low intake is that methadone might not be right for you because it is intended for people who take more and have a harder time getting off them (like me) so Suboxone might be the right choice for you ... they would simply put you onto the suboxone and taper you off of it. Im not trying to tell you what to do, im simply trying to give you insight and options ,so please dont mistake that.like i said it is up to you what you decide to do with this.. Somehow this ended up being more like a novel (sorry) i hope it helped !
    < edited >

musicman3

Thanks for the appreciation Jeff. Just be there for me when I go cold turkey which is either going to be Sunday or Monday at the latest.

jeffster

Thanks for the support. I may try cold turkey tomorrow, but if it's too brutal I may continue to taper which seems to be working pretty well.

As for the benzo addiction stuff, in research I've done it appears (and a lot of doctors will back this up) that the addiction statistics for benzos are misleading. The reason is that benzos are almost always prescribed for detox from other drugs and especially alcohol. Alcoholics especially, and people with very addictive personalities are obviously more likely to become addicted to benzos. Seeing as that is one of their primary uses, it potentially skews the nurabers a little and makes them seem more dangerous than they actually are from an addiction standpoint.

Either way, it's good advice, and again I only take 1-3 mg per day for this WD. I had been off them for a few months prior due to not wanting to take benzos and oxy together.

jeffster

Well day 2, it's been 42 hours or so since my last dose. Today is much worse than yesterday. I couldn't sleep last night due to the restlessness, but managed to get a very uncomfortable nap in the middle of the day today. All my symptoms have kicked into overdrive. Bad diarrhea now (Which I heard was the first to come and first to go, so I'm a little surprised by this). More nausea than yesterday and the restlessness although a little better right now, was absolutely torturous last night and this morning.

I don't have a thermometer but it definitely feels like I'm running a fever. Nose and eyes are running constantly and I am absolutely exhausted to the point that getting up to use the bathroom is a chore of great magnitude.

I'm scared because I have work tomorrow and I don't think I'd be able to go in in the state I'm in right now. I'm very much hoping it improves, or else I will need to take a dose tomorrow morning before work. I really really really don't want to do this, but I cannot miss work tomorrow. Blah. Here's to hoping I feel better in the next 12 hours.

I've read a lot of places that said the first and second day were the worst, but my first day was a walk in the park compared to my second day.

jeffster

Quick update as I'm getting no responses

I'm taking 30mg per day now by taking approx 5mg every 3-4 hours. My reasoning is that 5mg doesn't give me any type of "high" at all, it just makes me feel less sick. I think this is important. I feel crappy but it's tolerable. Since I'm crushing oxycontin it's REALLY difficult to get exact dosages, but my plan is to extend the time between doses to 5 hours, 6 etc. Today is better than yesterday so I'm hopeful that I can reduce my daily dose by 5mg every couple of days. Since the weekend is coming up, I may try to reduce by 10mg or so and just suffer through the weekend, then stay semi-stable through the week next week and try to cold turkey on a Friday.

I've had moments where I've seriously considered asking a Doctor for help. I'm not THAT erabarrassed so it's not that holding me back, but I don't want to ask for anything like suboxone or methadone unless I absolutely have to.

Due to anxiety, I have a bottomless prescription for ativan which I'm using to sleep (I still wake up in the middle of the night really restless to take a dose).

CherokeeAnita

Hi JeRABter and musicman. I spent several hours last night reading the forum on u guys and this topic. I just now registered and signed up to be able to post. I am wanting to know how it turned out and if you are both doing well and who is still on or did you make it off? I am dealing with huge problems and will say more later. I just wanted to see if you both were going to update your progress. Sorry if you have on another topic area. I am new so I am reading up.

Thanks much. I am happy to find this forum.

jeffster

Thanks, maybe I'll try the immodium. As for the previous poster's recommendation of aspirin PM with the muscle relaxant. Robax has the same thing, which I had considered trying, but in my daze (really really hazy, and the ativan probably doesn't help that) I've been a bit concerned about mixing medications and keeping track of when I've administered them.

I may try the robax or aspirin PM for the muscle relaxant if the restlessness continues into the night tonight though.

jeffster

So to keep myself busy I've decided to post some updates as I go along this process.

I was tapering down and was at about 30mg per day, 5mg every 4 hours or so. I quit cold turkey last night (Friday) at midnight. That was my last 5mg dose. I figured that would let me get at least a partial night's sleep before the horrible WD's. At least that was my reasoning.

It's now 7pm, so it's been about 19 hours. I've been taking ativan for the anxiety and restlessness which seems to be my worst symptom. I feel pretty exhausted and miserable (flu-like), have some diarrhea but nothing major. The biggest thing is the restlessness. God it's really really really annoying. Based on what I've read it's only going to get worse although I'm hopeful that due to my short duration of medication as well as the relatively small dose I was taking, mine won't be as bad or last as long. I'm also going from freezing to BOILING hot every few minutes which is really annoying. Not much nausea and I've been able to eat. I'm also taking ibuprofen for the aches.

To be honest, I'm pretty surprised how relatively good I feel. This is not to say I feel good by any stretch of the imagination, but I expected it to be much worse. Maybe I just haven't got to the worst of it yet? I certainly hope I'm in decent shape by Monday as I absolutely have to go to work even if it means taking more drugs which I REALLY don't want to do. If I had to go to work feeling like I do right now, I could probably manage it but it would not be pretty.

Anyone have any stories they can share about their withdrawal as it relates to these symptoms or provide any input on mine? Do you think I'm even close to the hump yet? Should I expect it to get much worse before it gets better? At what point during your cold turkey WD did you get to "the worst"?

Thanks!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information