Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

(OFFICIAL THREAD) How do you feel about Symbian?

If enough of us kindly ask you to remove the blog advertisements, would you do so?

+1

Seriously please remove the advertisement already...

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

There is nothing to speculate or predict. The N8 is the last N-series device that will ever run Symbian. It will henceforth be relegated to lower-end models like C's and E's. And that includes S^4.

Nokia has explicitly said this. All N-series devices will henceforth run MeeGo. I wouldn't be surprised if we see E-series devices with MeeGo too, but I'm just guessing.

Symbian is powerful and capable, and with the UI refresh that's coming along with S^4 it can be sexy again too, but it's being pushed down the line to higher volume, lower cost devices in favor of the much more modern, powerful and extensible MeeGo.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well that is what I am saying, even the lower end devices well be running Meego when the time comes.

S^4 sounds like it is promising but it needs to be powerful and cheap to compete against Adriod, RIM, and other competitors.

Symbian, at it's core, is more powerful than Android, RIM and "other competitors".

The posters in this thread have defeated you, sir.

How does a thread become an "Official Thread"?

There are probably a couple of hundred threads where this endless speculation is already happening so not sure if another "official" one is needed.

For the record: Nokia will, obviously, continue using Symbian for many years to come.

It became OFFICIAL, because he wants to drive people to his gigantic signature post. After blocking his image, I could careless - but it's still annoying to see him start posting solely because of his little contest.

To answer the original question "How do you feel about Symbian?" rather than discuss signatures:

My main gripe about Symbian is that some of the applications I would like to use are released for iPhone and Android but not for Symbian.

My current phone is the Nokia N95-3 but it's pretty well reached the end of its life.

Because so many applications are not released for Symbian but are for Android I am very tempted to move to the Dell Streak if only it would be available unlocked-unbranded in Canada. As it is not, I'll probably be buying the Nokia N8 as soon as it's available unlocked-unbranded in Canada.

Please keep on track people:

@Oddsocks: You back up what you say with no logic. Here is proof that Symbian is going down in US sales:

lol no logic? you mean evidence. also your logic is flawed. you're showing us US numbers? we already know nokia has no presence in the US. that alone isn't going to make them drop symbian. all they are doing is using meego for high end and symbian for the rest.

if you want to look at some numbers look at this for the global market share:
    http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS22486010

idc projects the OS to drop to 32% by 2014, which is still a large enough share to keep symbian around.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information