Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Raspberry Pi... ?16 a bargain...

I think there is meant to be an ARM version of xbmc in the next few weeks. The xbmc devs have one of these Raspberrypi's to play with so it might well happen.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

why does it have to be for someone in order for them to find out what it does?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'd like to get one too when they come out. The circuit board is the size of a credit card. They say they might sell it in an enclosure later on for the same price.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

i am by no means a computer geek - so i don't know how to write code, or program etc, which is what i assume it is for? (it wants to get kiRAB into programming does it not?)

are you able to play games from it? can you connect a keyboard to it? could i potentially play counter strike from it?

if i was to buy one with no other ad ons for it, what would i do with it? how do i use it with excel and word (which i read somewhere you could?)

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Like this?

Play.com - Buy Western Digital WD TV Mini Media Player online at Play.com and read reviews. Free delivery to UK and Europe!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

This is the BBC model B for the 21st century - this could be the catalyst the UK neeRAB to kickstart a new technological revolution..!
    This is running on an ARM chip that you find in mobile phones - tell a child they are going to do computer programming and their eyes will glaze over - tell them they are going to create an app for a phone and they will be clarabouring to get at this machine. I think this has been incredibly well thought out and could be a very important step in the right direction and, as a teacher, I hope it becomes erabedded in the curriculum as soon as possible.
    Are these being produced in the UK - I really hope they are as it could become quite an export item..!!

I think that is just a media player - the R-Pi will have the multi functionality more like a (basic) PC as it will run arm version of popular Linux OS's - which will be a big draw for the free software hacking community.

Still not sure it will have appeal outside of a few geeks. TV's are now around with built in Internet, Android etc. There has also been a few micro PCs designed to mount onto the back of TVs. For those who want it there's plenty of choice. This is cheap but a lot less functional as well. To make it useful you need to add storage and TVs can already read from USB sticks to play data or record to them.

The only real use I thought of would be in Africa where they do cheap $99 laptops already or perhaps some people might stick it in a car though there are kits for that as well.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looks very cool
    been keeping an eye on these I think they are looking to have resellers stocking them Q2, I've had a fair few customers asking if we will be stocking them, hopefully we will.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

It is a computer. you can connect any usb devices to it (although some may require power) network, HDMI and many other things. There is an official linux release for it to run on which means you can get some sort of word processor spreaRABheet etc... It can decode HD 1080p video as well and it has been shown playing quake 3.

Its main role though is as an educational tool. They are hoping that due to it being very cheap it can be used for lots of experimentation without too much worry if it does get broken. It is very low powered so there are projects looking at using solar power and a rechargeable battery to make it usable in remote situations.

Its being produced in the far east. They wanted production in the uk but could not get it done for the price they wanted. I believe there is more tax to import some of the components than it is to import the thing as a finished product, some stupid tax rule that really does rule out uk manufacturing at this price!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information