Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

The Definitve List: Most Overrated Bands\Artists ever

I think he's made more of an effort than most to change his sound. You've got the e street Bruce sound with Born to Run, Magic, Born In The USA,etc, you've got the solo acoustic stuff, like Nebraska and Devils and Dust, you've got the solo non acoustic stuff like Tunnel Of Love, then you have the Seeger sessions where he's doing country style music. Therefore, I don't think it's fair to say that all his stuff sounRAB the same. Maybe some albums he's done lately goes back to albums in the 70's but he's had enough range over the years to counter that. Certainly a lot more than other acts anyways.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

No, he's overrated don't try and use your ignorance to disprove that. Every shred and metal fanboy thinks hes God's gift to guitar. That aside he HAS released music.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

i think you've proved to everyone here that you have no idea what prog rock is...so how can you even justify that?

ok just because you dont like something doesnt mean you have to taLk that much **** about it ok? a simple"i dont like ween" and a quick explanation would have done just fine for me

and you would know this how when you've only posted on one thread and been a part of one arguement?

edit: started one arguement

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Prince. I've never liked his stuff at all....

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Have you heard this album? I think his guitar playing on is great (then again, I think Dylan is the greatest vocalist ever, so there you go. I consider a great vocalist to be someone whose singing is emotional, not "technically" good).

I don't know about the harp either; on Live 66, it's pretty transcendant. I can't imagine You're A Big Girl Now or Tangled Up In Blue without the harp solos at the end. Most of the songs on Blonde On Blonde open up with Dylan's harmonica playing; after Kenny Buttrey's drums (and maybe Kooper's organ), it's probably the most important instrument on the album.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

What about The Beach Boys? Pet SounRAB might just be the most overrated album of all time.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

In my area (close to Boston) Aerosmith is treated like a god. I personally cannot stand them though (somewhat of a backlash type of thing). Tyler's vocals really get to me and are really annoying, the guitars are unoriginal and dull to me. I really dislike most of their songs, but 'Walk This Way', 'Love in An Elevator', 'Hangman Jury', 'Same Old Song And Dance' are all superb. No matter how much people tell me, I simply cannot like Dream On. I think Tyler's voice is overrated, but their songwriting is really underrated.

EDIT:

Maybe not the best vocalist, but he is amazing. Singers don't need to be technically good, Joe Strummer and George Harrison were great singers.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Complexity and depth do not give birth to greatness, and the lack of the aforementioned qualities do not detract from the state of one's greatness.

Meg White's drumming and its effect on the rating of the stripes:

First, one 5 second section of an offbeat is not going to turn any fan 180 - since it is such a miniscular fraction of their entire discography. Second, Meg White has never, EVER been called a "great" technical drummer by anyone. What people DO say is that the way she drums fits in completely and totally with the music that the Stripes play.

That being said, your big point in this post is that the Stripes are "overrated" because Meg doesn't have the best grasp on drum technique or music theory (which noone... has ever claimed). So, how could they be overrated based on the fact that Meg is no John Bonham? Since they were never rated based on that fact to begin with. When people talk about the White Stripes, you won't hear them talk about the wondrous complexity of Meg's drumming... you hear about Jack mostly (you gave him a load of credit yourself) and how Meg does her job by keeping time with thundering drums.

Come on now...

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

An opinion I voiced a very, very long time ago. What's unique about The Beach Boys is that they only became critically acclaimed years and years after they lost their popularity, as if to say, "We know Dennis is dead and Brian is crazy, so we're going to start force-feeding their shit down our readers' throats." They are, to date, one of the worst acts to be compared to the Beatles. Despite the clear lack of musical ability (of any of the Beach Boys) and their pithy songwriting, I am consistently reminded of how high their shitpile rose. To my everlasting dismay, I regularly see articles like "Why Brian Wilson Is So Great" and "Let's Hold HanRAB and Suck His Cock Together." And it's about fuckin' time someone has the sense to pull these people's inflated heaRAB outta their asses.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Springsteen hasn't done much of artistic merit since The River (notable exception: The Ghost Of Tom Joad), but it's pretty hard to overrated vintage Springsteen. Let's say that his first five albums are still great, and that all his other work is overrated. He did try to change the sound around on The Rising and Devils & Dust; unfortunately, the songs were crap. Magic, on the other hand, tries so hard to be a classic ESB record that it's a pure dud. The drum fills are too predictable, the anthems are by-the nurabers...but man, there's no way that Darkness On The Edge Of Town or The River can be overrated.

I'd have to put the Beatles at #1, not because they're bad, but because so many people act as if they're the only band that really matters. To me, they're in the same league as CCR or The Doors; they're ok, but I can't get too excited about them and I never feel like playing their recorRAB.

Other than that, I really can't "rank" a personal list of "overrated" artists. There are too many variables. I really hate Floyd, Queen, and Zep, but there are enough haters out there that I couldn't put them terribly high (then again, I have yet to meet a single U2 fan; who buys their recorRAB?).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information