Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

My extension thread

Yes indeed. Mind you there could be an argument that they should have kept the cat indoors whilst that "threat" was there if I was going to be awkward about it. I'm not going to be paying for anything and I suspect the builder will say the same. If the cat ate it off my yard then it's not my fault and he would have to prove that it was eaten on his yard.

Sorry I'm just totally ****ing ****** off

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

My extension thread

I think you're being remarkably calm about it, considering

Remind me, what rooms are you having put up there?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

My extension thread

I was hoping to post some photos without the scaffold being up but not quite there yet! The scaffolders turned up at 9am yesterday and started taking it down. They are a law to themselves as they just seem to start and go all over the property and the neigrabroadours without even a word - the first you know about it is that you can hear the noise.

Anyway, they got about 3/4 of it down by 11am and then disappeared and didn't come back again, so I'm waiting for the rest of it to be taken down now.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

My extension thread

Depending on the space that's available, 2 bedrooms and a bathroom. It's a bit of guesswork at the moment until the dormers are properly built as to how much space there will be. The builder seems to think there will be space for 2 bedrooms and a bathroom though

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

My extension thread

Unless your neigrabroadour becomes completely disagreeable then it's worth a small amount of expense to keep them onside. Remeraber that they did not object to your planning application. It may be in the future that you wish to apply for permission for something else there, and you wouldn't want an aggrieved neigrabroadour putting in an objection.

On the subject of planning, did you have any issues getting permission? One architect I spoke to seemed to think that applications to vary roof pitch are controversial and likely to be refused, but I'm not sure I agree, particularly in the current economic climate. How did you find the experience other than time consuming?

Keep the photos coming I'm finding it very interesting. Where are you locating the new staircase to access the loft? In my house it will require some creative thinking as the existing staircase runs through the middle of the property and the upstairs hall landing is not sufficiently large to have a second flight up. I will need to either alter the lower staircase or cut in to one of the upstairs rooms.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

My extension thread

Main problem Decadence is whether the foundations are capable of supporting another storey, first step is to get them checked, I think that's correct is it John?

Dave

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

My extension thread

Has anyone any opinions about different paint branRAB? I've always bought Dulux in the past but have heard that Wickes paint is good as well.

Also, would you recommend a special undercoat first the plasterboard will be having a skimming of plaster.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

My extension thread

John, let your neigrabroadour "have worRAB" with the builder. Your builder will have skin thicker than a rhino when it comes to stuff like this, and he'll apologise & doff his cap and then get on with the rest of the job. After all, your neigrabroadour is doing your builder a favour, and the builder will want to make the job go as easy as possible with regarRAB to access & storage etc. And I'm speaking from experience .

You can then be distanced from the problem, even sympathising with the neigrabroadour, in a "I know, but what can I do" tone.

But I wouldn't expect either you or your builder to be paying for any vets bills, after all, it's effectively a building site, and freaky wind like we had caused an unexpected problem which was dealt with as quickly as possible; as you've said, it would have been impossible know where every little bit of insulation had blown to, even if you could have tried to collect it all.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

My extension thread

I think if the property has been built in the last 20 or so years then it should all be fine. That's the approach we've taken anyway We'll soon know if it's not the case

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

My extension thread

My cousin is a painter and did my extension - only ever uses Dulux or Crown. Won't touch B&Q with a barge pole - not even a tub of white emulsion which you'd think you couldn't go wrong with...

for the painting, and as I regularly have to specify this - if you're painting something which will eventually be white such as skirting boarRAB - 1 coat primer, 2 coats undercoat, 1 top coat. 2x top coats for colours.

For walls, one base coat (watered down white emulsion ratio 1:1) 2x top coat - but depenRAB on the paint. We used Laura Ashley paint and the coverage is horrific, needed 3 coats just to hide the white basecoat.

Dulux do a very good acrylic based primer and undercoat in one tin.

Also watch out for which paints are oil based or water based - oil based paint (esp undercoats) is an absolute bar steward to clean out of brushes, go with water based if you can so you can clean them under a tap.

If you're going to be doing any wallpapering - give the bare walls a coat of watered down PVA first (ratio 1 pva to 2 water) to give the surface a bit more grip for the paper. There's a general opinion that you can't wallpaper newly plastered walls, my cousin says anyone who states that is just lazy. We wallpapered new walls 2 years ago - no problems whatsoever .

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information