Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    seventh circle
    seventh circle
's Avatar

This is why people hate big business v.salt wars

Then why do you even bother?

blackbirdbeatle
    blackbirdbeatle
's Avatar

Extra sodium is bad for you when your potassium levels aren't in check. As you can imagine most people don't get enough (At least 2:1 ratio) relative to their sodium intake.

Man Bear Pig
    Man Bear Pig
's Avatar

bears? outside
    airplanes? outside
    gangbangers? outside

Man Bear Pig
    Man Bear Pig
's Avatar

The trans fat found in beef is the same as that found in processed food. Your body processes it in the same fucking way. But hey, trans fats are bad. Duh hur drr drrr.

Why not let people chose what they eat? I don't eat that kind of crap, but if other people want to, let them.

blackbirdbeatle
    blackbirdbeatle
's Avatar

Yes it is. You pay a lot for private insurance, taxes, etc... from other fuckers being unhealthy and fat. The private sector loses countless billions from unhealthy people being unproductive/taking sick time, etc.... They've even had to recalculate fuel for planes because of the increase in weight of it's passengers. One result is less baggage allowed on. These are just a few examples.

I'm not saying the gov't should regulate this at all, but to say that the majority of the population letting themselves go does not affect you is a bit naive.

seventh circle
    seventh circle
's Avatar

Truth.

blackbirdbeatle
    blackbirdbeatle
's Avatar

True but there are alternatives. When they get more popular (And they will, because self life seems to be everything nowadays) they will become just as cheap. Entire countries have adopted to a lack of trans fats. Places like KFC were hurting for a while but they found an alternative that doesn't change the consistency or taste and now they're fine. And then new preservatives will enter the market and in a short time frame you won't even miss them.

I'm all for people choosing what to do with their own bodies but unfortunately we live in a society in which their bad choices affects my pocket book, either in a round-a-bout way or directly. Trans fats are replaceable and won't be missed in the future. Salt is not. Guns are not either (Unless you change the purpose of a gun, I don't know any projectile weapon that is similar). Tall buildings are not.

Of course the best course is to give the unhealthy people the full consequences of their lifestyle but that isn't going to happen. So selfishly (And hypocritically), I'm okay in some situations when the gov't comes in and treats people like the babies they are. Our unhealthy habits are setting ourselves up for a huge problem in the future and I don't want to carry others burdens on my back.

ballz2wallz
    ballz2wallz
's Avatar

The NHANES III study is an extension of the original NHANES study that suggested sodium might cause increased blood pressure to begin with...I believe.

seventh circle
    seventh circle
's Avatar

Because there is absolutely no purpose for it. It doesn't add to the flavor, it doesn't make it better, it's just a heart clogging piece of shit unsaturated fat. It's like the cigarettes of food ingredients.

seventh circle
    seventh circle
's Avatar

This is what makes you a tool. It's a casual argument move to on topic if you want drawn out responses that thoroughly define every variable.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information