Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Zalis116

Updated Recommendations?

Not to dispute the value of this thread, but the recommendations for genres seem slightly outdated...I mean, there's nothing there from after 2002 or so, and some of the recommended titles are 15+ years old. Of course, they're still valid recommendations because they're classics, but I think things could be changed/added to include the mass of titles that has come out in the last few years.

Another suggestion: On a certain infamous torrent site, their general anime forum has sticky posts for various genres of anime, like comedy/etchi, romance, sci-fi, action, mecha, fantasy, etc, where people can make new posts offering basic descriptions of series in each genre as they come out. Having so many stickies in the ANN forum could be problematical, so I propose a solution like this:

1) Mod or admin creates a sticky thread "Anime recommendations" with a breakdown between the genres like Shoujo, Romance, Comedy, Action, Mecha, and so forth.

2) Users post replies recommending certain series, perhaps under the format--

Genre:
    Series Title:
    # of Episodes
    Year:
    R1 Licensee (if available) :

Description: **overview of the series's content, not a personal review**
    Similar Series:
    Link: to ANN Encyclopedia or other good external link (meaning not to fansubdb.info* or similar sites)

*not a real site

3) Mods or others with "the power" edit the thread to add each new recommendation to the original post as a quote (to give credit to the submitter), and delete the new reply afterwards. (New posts could be added to hold more recommendations as submissions increase, if posts beceome too long.)

I know that this would be yet another task for our hard-working mods, but it would only be a matter of Cut, Copy, Delete Post. The result could be one unified recommendation thread, with very few replies to sift through, and a list of recommendations by genre that can be referred to whenever anyone asks "I'm looking for a good comedy with fanservice" or similar question, and might cut down on repetitive posts in the forum. Probably not, but at least there'd be a quick answer--if posters list similar shows, searchers can hit Ctrl+f in this thread to find similar series.

Again, these are all suggestions--no need to follow them at all, of course.

Azathrael

General Anime Questions

Manga and anime are completely different industries. Not every single manga is guaranteed to be created in anime and not all anime are based on manga. The anime is never meant to be a kind of substitute for the manga so you can't expect anime that is based on a manga to be always completed according to the manga. Angel Sanctuary was actually just the first volume of the manga and it's meant to be more of a promotional/teaser anime than a "cliffhanger" that they never finished.

I don't know what you mean by "anime based on different manga" or "when are some different anime going to be played". For the latter, if you mean on TV or something, you'll just have to wait.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

[ATTN] General Anime Questions

Again, as stated above:
    If you have new contributions, post'em here. We'll keep this thread nice and orderly so it's easy to find answers. Yes, this means we will delete your posts as neccessary to keep this thread tidy.

Off-topic or specific anime/manga questions will be moved to a separate thread in one of the other forums. Check your private messages for an exact location.

This thread is for general questions which are asked repeatedly, yet have the same basic answer. This is to help alleviate some of the repetitious questions in the forum.

Deltakiral

General Anime Questions

I got a strange question about hair color in anime.

I know that there are defintely anime that are radical and lots of the characters have extremely bizarre and weird hair colors. And so I don't mind when there crazy blue and red hair colors because normally it fits with the art style of the show.

But for the anime that are more serious and most of the characters have your more standard colors, what with that off color purple that always show up? I assume it's suppose to be like a black color, but it's always weird to me when everyone else in the show has either blonde, brown, red, or normal black and then there is someone with a dark color purple. Is there anything behind this or am I thinking way to much about it.
    Till next time,

Delta Kiral

PantsGoblin

General Anime Questions

@WesW: They're just different styles. I suppose Clamp's style is more "shoujo" like, which does seem to have a certain look. Other then that, no specific names I know of.

@wiz: Because the world hates you.

Tony K.

General Anime Questions

Question.

Why do the Japanese display English names in all caps, just to make it look cool or important? A lot of times I see names like MONSTER, NARUTO, BONNIE PINK, or HYDE just begging to stick out from every other piece of English, hiragana, or kanji text when I surf around the 'net or watch anime with Japanese credits.

Is there an explanation for this?

WesW

General Anime Questions

Quote Originally Posted by PantsGoblin
    @WesW: They're just different styles. I suppose Clamp's style is more "shoujo" like, which does seem to have a certain look. Other then that, no specific names I know of.
    Ok, thanks. Btw, thanks for the link to outpost nine that you posted in a thread on Japanese racism a couple of months ago. I spent most of that weekend reading the author's diary of his student teaching experiences. As my interest in anime has grown, so has my desire to learn about Japanese culture, and real-life experiences like his are one of the best ways to do so.
    I know it's kind of odd to make a thank you this long after the fact, but that link is typical of your generosity here, and people like you are what make forums worth visiting. Just wanted you to know.

PantsGoblin

General Anime Questions

Quote Originally Posted by WesW
    Quote Originally Posted by PantsGoblin
    Ok, thanks. Btw, thanks for the link to outpost nine that you posted in a thread on Japanese racism a couple of months ago. I spent most of that weekend reading the author's diary of his student teaching experiences. As my interest in anime has grown, so has my desire to learn about Japanese culture, and real-life experiences like his are one of the best ways to do so.
    I know it's kind of odd to make a thank you this long after the fact, but that link is typical of your generosity here, and people like you are what make forums worth visiting. Just wanted you to know.
    Well, I appretiate the compliment, but uh, I don't think that was me. I mean, I know about that site, but I don't remember ever linking to it. Maybe you're thinking of shirokiryuu?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Identifying Anime

Quote Originally Posted by Daemonblue
    also, the link names have tenshi (mispelled as tensi)
    That's not a misspelling, that's an alternate system of transliteration. Most of us in the West are used to older systems like Hepburn (ヘボン式) and Revised Hepburn (修正ヘボン式), where the transliteration into romaji actually matches the sound of the syllables. However, for some reason I've never been able to understand, two closely-related systems of transliteration, nihon-shiki (日本式) and its modern derivative kunrei-shiki (訓令式), are considered more "genuine" -- and, in fact, kunrei-shiki is the "official" system of transliteration taught in ISO-certified schools in Japan.

In these systems, a number of the syllables that Hepburn correctly transliterates by sound are modified into something that just doesn't match the sound of the syllable. One of these is shi which is now si. Therefore, tensi is "correct".

All of which is complete stuff and nonsense to anyone with half an ear.

- abunai

selenta

General Anime Questions

I think it's one of those things with the Japanese where they enjoy dealing with those "kooky foreigners" when out on the streets, or maybe when they're out for a night on the town. In the daily routine though, most of the adults especially seem to prefer to avoid the boisterous type. Then again, if it's loud fart jokes and/or burping you're talking about, I'd hope you'd be just as ashamed to be part of that group anywhere you go :wink:

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information