Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

$$$ Avatar Billion Dollar Movie $$$

jalal has a point, Selling good at the box office does not make it a good film.

Why do you have to shove the total box office sales down our throats to justify how good a film is, was the Godfather not a good film, with box office sales of $270m.

And another thing, we are allowed to not like avatar and also not provide a breakdown of why.

grow up.

g

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Compared with 90% of other big CGI movies of this nature Avatar IS fantastic and DOES deserve to make this amount of money. The digital effects work is the best ever produced and the story is entertaining and meaningful. I still can't get over how brilliant the end battle is.

OK I saw it at a 3D IMAX screening so that helps the wow factor, but anyone with half a brain cell knows it's way WAY beyond the likes of Transformers (especially the terrible Revenge of the Fallen!), Terminator Salvation etc. and it eclipses similar movies like Peter Jackson's King Kong and the Star Wars prequels. Is it as good as The Dark Knight? No, but you can't really compare them.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

desperate to see it on IMAX! went to my local cinema, saw it in 3d on a normal tiny tiny (have been away for a while and forgotten how small these screens are in my local town) - so arranged the week later to see it with frienRAB at the IMAX in Manchester....the bugger was not only sold out, but sold out for 10 days straight!!!!!

will catch it on IMAX before it goes off....making that my 3rd time watching it!!!!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Did I say it didn't???

(surely the same thing?) I'm not. This thread started off being about Avatar's box office success and some people, perfectly reasonably, have chosen to make the point that big at the box office doesn't necessarily mean it was a good film. I agree with that 100% but I disagree with the assessment that it was hype and marketing that were making Avatar so successful. It's not - the way the receipts have been building strongly suggest that its success is down to word of mouth / public endorsement.

(Spare me) I was genuinely interested to know what he didn't like about the film - which is why I asked.

....nice comeback.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

well i far one have seen it twice - and wish to see it a 3rd time on an IMAX! so im guessing a lot of people are seeing it more then once also - boosting box office figures.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Seeing it at IMAX is brilliant.

I'm really sick of the people that slate Big Budget movies like some guy was slating Harry Potter and LOTR and Transformers but the fact of the matter is the films are entertaining and that is why they make the most money. Its not completely down to advertising. A film can market itself as much as it wants but its still not going to attract someone who does not like the genre of movie. People don't want to see artsy fartsy movies all the time they just want to be entertained and be taken away from mundane life for an hour or two. They wanna see fantasy or action and explosions not a film about a pianter or a pianist or some shite like that.
    Avatar is a BRILLIANT piece of cinema

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Saying a film is brilliant and entertaining is an 'opinion' not fact.
    Claiming that 'people don't want to see artsy fartsy movies' all the time is a generalisation. Personally I'm enjoy both blockbusters and artsy fartsy movies. In summary: each to his own.
    Transformers 1 and 2 and the last Harry Potter were awful though

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Obviously - but that doesn't mean that opinions are unimportant. It's the weight of opinions that's the real guide - how many people are saying it's brilliant / rubbish, or, if you don't trust the great unwashed, how many critics are saying it's brilliant / rubbish.

Isn't it true though? Surely most people don't want to see "artsy farsty" movies ALL the time? If they do, the TV Movie schedulers have had it hopelessly wrong for decades.

Agree with you 100% about T1,2 and HP6 btw...

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Listen the whole point of forum is so people can express there opinion, if people dont like a movie so be it??

Me personally gave it a second chance, watched it twice a still didnt enjoy it, visually beautiful, but the story was more
    the boring part of titanic + the boring part of aliens x The end of Return of the Jedi = Avatar.

The reason the movie has done so well is due to the hype, remember Avatar day, i mean come on?? dont remember having a zombieland day or a district 9 day (Which by the way where much more entertaining).

I would give avatar 6/10, however never would i disagree that this is a billion dollar movie as you can see all the hard work that went into making something a little different.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gratz on the Billion Avatar. Is 2 billion a possibility? Probably not.

As an aside I have only seen it on IMAX. Wondered if anyone has seen it on both. Keen to see it again but would probably go for normal 3D.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

In what corner do we have Search box?

Thread Information