Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    adhay

Let's Debate Afghanistan In The Pit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobohan View Post
    ... If we leave now will the Taliban take over again and allow free access to AQ camps and forces?
    The Taliban has proven, if you will look again at the OP, that they are willing to comply with global restrictions on drug abuse. I do not doubt that the Taliban would welcome an offer from the US that in exchange for an honest pain killer monopoly, they would welcome a US military presence on the Pakistani border.

Fuck you all and get used to some human rights violations for a while. We have our liberalizing foot in the door.

Fear Itself

Quote Originally Posted by gonzomax View Post
    The WACS and nurses were pretty juicy too.
    That's because there ain't nothing like a dame.

FoieGrasIsEvil

Quote Originally Posted by gonzomax View Post
    Pfft. Those are Marines you're talking about. They don't count.

This is how Marines think, in the immortal words of Colonel Jessup: [sic] "...my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to."

It is what it is. You need the Marines, they are good killers.

FoieGrasIsEvil

Quote Originally Posted by adhay View Post

Then, conveniently, we had 9/11.
    Yes, 9/11 was quite "convenient" for all those that died, the people that live(d) and work(ed) in NYC and the Pentagon, their families and friends.

Interesting perspective.

Oh, you mean "politically convenient", ie, as a ruse under which to launch a "needless" war in a country where terrorists actively trained, were funded with bin Laden money, hid out and plotted against us?

The Iraq war was the "needless" one. The Afghanistan war, while still a murky proposition in some ways, was at least justifiable.

The Other Waldo Pepper

Quote Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
    I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.
    I always thought it was "stand opposed" -- as in "you can thank me or you can challenge me to a fight; I honestly won't give a crap either way."

Der Trihs

Pfft. Those are Marines you're talking about. They don't count.

This is how Marines think, in the immortal words of Colonel Jessup: [sic] "...my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to."

It is what it is. You need the Marines, they are good killers.
    It's not me they protect, much less "freedom", it's the values of right wing fanatics and corporate profits. They do very little that has to do with preserving anyone's freedom, and usually they are fighting against freedom.

adhay

... The Afghanistan war, while still a murky proposition in some ways, was at least justifiable.
    For 9 fucking years?

Fuck you, personally.

EVIL COW PIE

Quote Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
    They probably would take over and the camps would reappear. I say, so what? There is nothing wrong with a terrorist training camp that a tomahawk missile or predator drone wouldn't fix. I'd much rather lob the occasional missile than continue to try to put Humpty Dumpty together.
    I agree. It's the difference between leaving a hornet's nest alone and beating it with a stick, except in this case we are killing a lot of stick swingers in the process. Not to mention we are wasting a shit load of very expensive sticks and the billions of dollars delivering those sticks.

Keep in mind that this isn't Nazi Germany we are fighting where you kill one guy and the whole thing topples. These cells acting independently are recruiting new kids every day. There is no winning and walking away. Just can't happen.

adhay

Quote Originally Posted by EVIL COW PIE View Post
    ... These cells acting independently are recruiting new kids every day. There is no winning and walking away.
    Sure there is.

I outlined it above.

Fuck you, personally.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thomas Barnett at TED in 2005 on Leviathan v. Sys Admin: http://www.ted.com/talks/thomas_barn...for_peace.html

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information