Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 57 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Hot rumor: The Nokia N8 with Symbian^3

Yea, it's true. (He's not a hater, but the relationship with Nokia has gone sour)

If you follow Eldar closely, you will see that after he leaked the N900 (now that blaxx pointed out); he got a warning from Nokia.

But instead of taking a low tone toward the warning, he went to Korea to make friends with Samsung and checked out their phones. :lol:

This is the truth :2thumbs:

*BTW I invested a crap load into Nokia so of course I am a fan boy... :hehehe:

Sounds like Vasco.

We know the main features of Symbian^3 that it's supposed to add over Symbian^2 (which is effectively an N97 v20/ N97 Mini v10):

multiple pages of homescreen widgets
    HDMI / HDCP support for video/multimedia
    Graphics hardware acceleration

etc

That is not full flash support, hence why it is not able to update it, you have to wait until the Maemo team works/ports Flash 10.1 or 10 to the N900. You can call it a custom solution, but not full.
    Same as a facebook app not done by facebook, but by another developer. Adobe doesn't disable anything.
    Since no mobile OS has the full native Flash app/plug-in then it's not recognizable under Adobe's page.
    Well, OS X has a previous version of Flash, but not the current one I believe. That's cus Apple thinks that Flash is buggy and therefore don't fully support it (also why their iPhone won't get native Flash support).

I really don't think they're investing that much in ^3. It's really just being done as a halfway point between the two and to give manufacturers something to release that is sort of/kinda modern and competitive.

The thing is, most people here, including me, are former Nokia fans from the early days who are dismayed about the direction of the company. They went from being a technology leader and innovator, and they turned into.....JVC. Really dispiriting for a tech nerd to see.

At this point, one has to look at leadership and management. OPK, the CEO, may need to move aside; I think they need a Gates/Jobs/ Louis Gerstner type over there. Somebody that can go in there, knock some heads together and make some tough decisions.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

thats exactly why they would put it, i mean how many times have we heard they still running the same 5mp camera from 2 yrs ago, so increase the specs always gets consumers intrigued lol :buddies:
    Attached Files Attached Files

Sadly, most have to, but not the iPhone owners. But oh well. As of now I think Symbian will be for lower-spec (ie dumb) phones, and MeeGo for smartphones. I'm heading towards Windows Phone 7 Series .

+1
    That is exactly what I was talking to my friend about. OPK needs to get out at this point. Since 2006 (N95's release) Nokia have been running downhills leaving openings for others to compete.

The company made major changes by focusing on softwares (started creating emails/maps/n-gage) and putting less effort on hardware. That was the right move and they had a good plan before iphone even existed. However, the execution totally failed. The software Nokia created were buggy and most users ended up installing 3rd party apps on their phone instead of using the defaults.

Also, the Symbian OS is too complex for an average Joe and not enough eye candy to keep Joe interested. That's what Apple is doing right, built simple and easy to use device that "looks" cool.

I remember recommending a friend to buy a E71 and had to help him install apps; he then switch to the iphone and installed apps on it by himself. At that point it was obvious that symbian is too complex for a Joe Doe.

But I have to give Nokia a lot of credit; they screw up for so many years and still manage to survive. The toughness of the company is very impressive, I can see them screwing up for another year or 2 and still be OK. :hehehe:

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Amu, I suspect I are doing a lot of OS lower level stuff already in SF^3 that needs to get done to get to SF^4. It would be equally if not more problematic for them to not put out anything new until beginning of 2011 and just rely on the SF^2. I.e. my (granted) guess is that lot of the SF^3 OS stuff will be useful and not a waste of time. In other words, what you call just wasting time might be (in smaller or greater part) necessary to get to SF^4 in the first place.

As for 3rd party developers, they probably should in many cases basically skip SF^3 as they know (thanks to the fairly transparent roadmap) that e.g. Qt is coming soon, so they can already start planning and preparing for it and as SF toolkits etc. roll out for Qt etc. some of them should be ready by when SF^4 comes out.

What's with the cryptic act? If you know something, just say it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information