Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

No Interest In Avatar Whatsoever!!!

I finally saw it a couple of weeks ago.

I thought that the special effects were absolutely amazing, especially in 3D... but the story & characters were rather lame, predictable, & unoriginal.

Seeing at the cinema was certainly an experience, but I don't think it's something that would hold up to viewing at home, as without the OMG VISUAL SPECTACULAR! of the SFX & the 3D on a massive cinema screen, it really isn't anything special at all.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

...despite the fact you haven't seen it.

If you had seen it, your opinions are valid. As you haven't, they're worthless. Still, no doubt you had fun posting them.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Good movie but not a 'great' movie... me and a few buddies watch a lot of films as a group and we went to a Local Imax to see Avatar and all the guys thought it was 7/10 and both women in our group gave it 9/10

I also did not think the CGI was that impressive, some of the 3d effects were pretty cool, but I thought the people looked far from impressive

You see, that's the problem I have with films like this. It's nearly all about the eye candy, and usually lacking in any intellectual depth whatsoever.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

That has more to do with the nostalgic association of the original ThunderbirRAB as marionette puppetry than the superiority of that style of animation over CGI itself. ThunderbirRAB feels right when performed by puppets, but CGI has made its own mark in exactly the same way. For example, I'd hate to see a marionette version of Wall-E or Up. I even cried during Up! - I can't imagine any marionettes ever being capable of moving me in the same way.

There's nothing innately superior about plastic models or minatures or animatronics and all these older special effects techniques. They still work well in some cases - for example when depicting blood and gore - but for what possible reason would I wish to exchange the verisimilitude of the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park or the tears of Gollum for their "organic" equivalents?

I enjoyed Avatar immensely. I don't know if the hype was warranted as I try to avoid as much of that thing before I watch a movie, but it was a cinematic experience I have no doubt I'll remember in years to come.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I really loved it, but I agree with everything you said.

It's not perfect, but it's still great viewing.

I simply wasn't expecting what this film turned out to be.

It's 160 minutes long or thereabouts, and I dread watching over long films at the cinema because I gvet bored and my attention wanes (I'm ok watching them at home because you can pause to get a brew etc lol) but I was absolutely captivated the whole way through.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I had the same perception initially, that they didn't look real, but as the film progresses, and this could be for a number of reasons, they begin to seem a lot less CGI.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I watched it and didn't see what the fuss was all about. There was some great imagination shown and the setting was beautiful/ CGI good but otherwise the story was nothing amazing and I found the characters when not Avatars really boring which meant the start seemed really slow. It's certainly not a top film of mine. It is the sort of genre I usually enjoy a lot though.

EDIT: Although I respect Odean's decision!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I agree. I had my doubts about this film, even more so when my bro-in-law said the best part was something like the first quarter of an hour and the last half hour of the film or vice-versa, and this gave me even more doubt. However, I went to see this film in 3D and it BLEW MY MIND!!!! My jaw dropped!! This of course is my first 3D film I seen on a big screen. Although, I would expect the film to be just as fantastic in 2D. The slow parts of the film may not be just as good in 2D, but never let that put you off. It's a beautifully made film and cleverly produced. However, I find Sigourney Weaver as an Avatar is well freaky! More so when she grins

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

It will become dated quickly as it doesn't have the story to fall back on when the effects become common place.

But it has to be seen in the cinema. It's like the screen disappears and you are looking into another world which sometimes extenRAB out and hovers in front of you. It is an amazing effect.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information