Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    rosebloom

Getting off PPI's and Acid Rebound-What has worked for me- Four months later

Hi Abadgi:

I think my rebound is over now. I don't have the horrible "attacks" of heartburn I had those first three months. But I still have episodes of heartburn weekly. I have three or four good days and then usually two to three so-so days when I experience mild to moderate heartburn. I think that is just the course of the disorder or disease or whatever this is for me. I take Zantac on the days my stomach burns and nothing but the supplements on other days.

I think for most of us off meRAB, we can expect this is going to be the course of this disorder.

I am taking the apple cider vinegar, calcium/D3/magnesium supplements, DGL and other vitamins/minerals. Not sure if those help or not. I am doing my best.

Rose

rosebloom

Thank you for your worRAB of encouragement. As you probably read, I got off the PPI because I developed osteopenia after only three years of taking Aciphex. I happened to have a Dexa scan the year I started the Aciphex because I was 52 and starting menopause so my doctor wanted a baseline. All was normal then. Three years later when I had the repeat Dexa everyone was shocked when it showed advanced osteopenia, meaning I am just a few points away from osteoporosis. That's when I decided to quit the Aciphex even though it provided me with one hundred percent relief of any symptoms. It's been a tough road with good days and bad days.

I had two pretty lousy days of almost constant burning and today was OK again.

As far as sleeping, sleep on your left side. It keeps acid from coming up. I have trained myself to do this and rarely wake up with any discomfort the next day.

I'd love to hear more theories as to why or how ACV works. I like the gastrin theory.

I drink mine at room temperature diluted in a glass of water and through a straw to minimize contact with my teeth.

Rose

Flyerfan

I have been taking Melatonin since August 6th and I believe it is working. I've been off PPI's since August 3rd after being on them for about 8 or 9 years.

I went to an ND who is having me take the Melatonin...there have been studies done that it strengthens the LES. I don't get much reflux at all. However, I do believe that my acid/gastrin levels are still not back to normal because even though I don't get the reflux I get some stomach pains and a lot of gas pains. I'm in for the long haul, though. It's been 8 weeks so far and I've heard it can take 3 months or more. I'm just thankful I have minor reflux, some days hardly any.

Does anybody know of anything I could do for gas pains other than GasX. I would like to go natural if possible.

hat767

Rosebloom,

I have a question. You say that you used to take Zantac around the clock. I'm assuming you mean you took 300mg/day. How did you divide the doses and around what times did you take them? I read your post on taking zantac prior to eating haivng it work better, but I'm curious as to how you split out the doses.

Had a bad day yesterday, it stinks because the actual day of the damage is not so bad with whatever you ate, its the day right after that it actually snowballs for me.

gpinzone

Well, its been 28 days on my new low fat semi low carb diet and 18 days off 40mg nexium cold turkey. I no longer have to take Zantec 150mg 2-4 times a day. I am over the jump of the acid rebound phase. I had a scope done 3 days ago and it came back clean. I didnt eat for 20 hours or take any zantec. After that I only took 1 zantec 75 since then.

I hope my story gives hope to others trying to get off PPI's. With all the acid I had over the last 2+ weeks I was sure I had damaged my espohcus but I guess not. I had some mucas and tightness in my throat yesterday and today. I am still following my diet, but it's been hard not to try something tasty to eat like dark chocolate almonRAB or a haraburger on the grill.

I dont know if I am going to have mucas and throat tightness for the rest of my life but at least I am not taking Nexium as I stopped helping anyway.

I will keep you all posted in another week or so.

Don't give up. But if you havent gotten a Upper GI get it to make sure nothing is damaged or if you have any other issues going on in your stomach.

I will continue to take my align every night and my Wholezymes with meals for atleast 2 more months.

jayner1

I have been following your progress; Rosebloom and so happy to hear that its possible to get off PPI. I posted before on my experiences with gastritis. Have been on PPI's off and on for 5 years! The acid reflux has gotten worse in the last 2 years. I have now had 2 endoscopies done. The last one was done just a few weeks ago along with a colonoscopy and I was going to have a capsule inserted to track PH balance. Well because I was having anxiety (from my new acid reflux going into my throat causing alot of havoc and a trip to the ER) my procedure was performed under general anesthesia! Well I had nothing but problems. Since I was told to stop taking PPI a week prior to treatment and being anxious about procedure my acid reflux was so bad; they were unable to do the capsule treatment and the procedure left me with NO voice for 10 days, severe fatigue, and worse acid reflux! Had to double up the 40 mg of Protonix for about a week. Now I am trying to wean myself off the Protonix, taking 1 Protonix every other day, and 1 150mg of Zanax the other day. I will do this for 3 wks then will take Protonix every 3 days for another 3 weeks, until I can get off Protonix completely. Also chewing RABL tablets, a Probiotic every morning, and a Digestive Enzyme following each meal. It has been challenging but I have learned A LOT from everyones post here. Just tonite I have started AVC and have begun Acupuncture treatment. Happily today has been my best day thus far, and I hope to start my own thread as soon as I can determine exactly what's working for me.
    Good Luck to you all and thanks again for sharing such invaluable information!
    I am encouraged by your posts.

rosebloom

Flyerfan:

SounRAB like you are doing great and following a very sensible plan. I am so glad to read others like you are trying and doing well on their plans to come off PPI's. We are proving that it can be done. Let me know how it goes with the ACV. Maybe you can try one tablespoon in water rather than two at first. Others have written here that they mix they ACV with fruit juice and that works well too.

I had a delicious scone for breakfast today and actually ended up experiencing heartburn on and off the rest of the day. It was not unbearable but a bit uncomfortable. I think that thing must have had a lot of carbs and sugar. I am now getting to where I can predict what the triggers might be and can take calculated risks like today. It was a delicious cranberry/orange scone from Starbucks. Otherwise, I am being pretty good.

I am back to my almond milk and wholegrain toast for breakfast tomorrow. A little cheating here and there inspires me to be good the majority of the time.

Rose

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information