Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

103 Hard Starting PLEASE POST HERE

Cop bikes going in for compression releases? Time for a thread search again. I just got my new cop bike and, so far, she starts fine. Hopefully she'll stay that way. Does anybody have a definitive answer as to the actual differences between the OE Cop 103's and the basic 96"-to-103" conversion? Have been curious about the cams. I know the 96" has 9.2:1 and my 103 has 9.6:1, and I was told the basic 103 upgrade also has 9.2:1. If so, than what accounts for that little .4 bump in compression? So far I like the pull this motor has. Especially considering it's a bottled up stock OE 103, not a real worked over "tuner" motor. After reading this thread, I'm counting my blessings.................1 crank at a time!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

This is a real sore subject for me. I had the 103" 255 cam kit installed in my '09 and experienced the same hard starting problems. Automatic compression releases were installed and the problem was solved. Cost me an extra $900 to have the heads r&r and drilled. Heidi in customer service at MoCo told me to take a hike. Real classy folks they have over there.

Marc

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have this problem, only when hot, of course. Motor is stock with the SE 103 kit installed just after delivery. No additional mods to the motor.

I found that the problem of hard starting didn't occur if I started the bike in Neutral, rather than in gear with the clutch pulled in. I suspected the clutch added some additional drag, just enough to cause the kickback. My 2 cents. I will also be trying the "turn on - start right away" method mentioned here.

No compression releases, but I have 4 more years of warranty....

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Whats CCP? Its a Stage II kit with A/C and Rinehart slipons. I didnt get a print out yet because i dont have 1000 miles on her.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I just called HD and they said that if you are having this problem you have to call in and report it and reference the case I put above. They will only address it on a case by case basis. I told her that there were about 40-50 people experiencing the problem and she said it is addressed on a case by case basis. So if you want this to get fixed, call and report it and reference the case I put in the first post.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I had the 103" 255 cam kit installed in my '08 and am experienced the same hard starting problems ( right from the get go). The motor is stock with the 103 installation taking place prior to delivery. No additional mods to the motor.
    I have expressed my concern regarding the bikes hard starting issues with my dealer. All the electrical components where checked and found to be within spec..
    I have noticed the starting problems are starting to show on cool starts and last night the bike failed to start when cold. Now instead of a "potato, potato, potato", I have a whirling, spinning sound. Good part was, this failure occurred in my driveway. Crappy part is my dealer is 2.5 hours away.
    As an aside, I am considering installing compression releases.
    Question for Dalton; are the reworked automatic ones ok or should I be looking at manual compression releases.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

YOur CCP is cold cranking compresion. Do a serch and purchase the guage to measuge your bike. very simple to do my CCP with the SE251 CAMS is 190. NO issues at all starting. Harley service should check your starter there has a service bullitian out for it a few months again I have a copy. If I find it will post it here.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

07 Ultra with 103 installed, Andrews cams and some head work done, so far no issues, no releases. Not many miles on yet but no issues starting, pops right off.

mps

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Personally I like to use manual compression releases. On the off chance should they go bad, you can easily get another 1 or physically move the release. The automatic ones, if I not mistaken(and if I am tell me don't flame) are in the middle of the head, a lot harder to get at a parking lot, etc.

If anyone has SERT load up a stage 2 map and look at the timing. A lot of timing is there. I took out some on start up and did little adjustments, plus using comp releases I am in the clear. I really think it has to do with the map being loaded. JM.02.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

+1 on the hard to crank when hot. 103 w/255 cams and SE air cleaner
    V&H True duals and Rush 2". All done at the dealer. No other engine mods. Have noticed that it is easier to crank in neutral, but will still spin over quite a few times before firing off. The not enough fuel on the starting map does kinda make sense, next time I'm out I think I will treat her like a carbed bike and crack the throttle just a touch as I hit the go button.... it will either help, or it will flood and I can go back in and have another drink while she dries out...LOL

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information